Aug 28, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
You may recall that in May 2008, the White Sox fired senior director of player personnel David Wilder and scouts Jorge L. Oquendo Rivera and Victor Mateo after allegations surfaced that they had pocketed money earmarked for player signing bonuses. Specifically, they were accused of illegally defrauding 23 baseball prospects out of $400,000 from December 2004 to February 2008. Wilder was charged with seven counts of mail fraud.
He’s going to jail now:
Former Sox scouting exec David Wilder gets 2 years for kickback scheme.
— Larry Yellen Fox 32 (@LarryYellen) August 28, 2013
Worth noting that when this stuff first hit the fan back in 2008, it led to a lot of articles talking about the state of player development in the Dominican Republic, the dangers of Buscones exploiting players and all of that. So much of it was used as the launching pad for calls for an international draft in order to “clean up” player development in the Dominican Republic.
Maybe there is some cleaning that needs done. But as of now, Wilder is by far the highest profile guy to fall, and he is no buscone. He’s an MLB guy. So make of that what you will.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 11
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 70
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)