Aug 28, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Josh Johnson met with Dr. James Andrews, who advised the Blue Jays to shut down the injured right-hander for the remainder of the season. However, the good news is that Dr. Andrews also determined that Johnson doesn’t need surgery on the strained forearm that’s sidelined him for the past three weeks.
Toronto acquired Johnson as part of the blockbuster deal with the Marlins this offseason and the one-time ace hoped to stay healthy and put together a big season with free agency right around the corner. Instead he made just 16 starts with a 6.20 ERA and more healthy problems, with Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com writing that the Blue Jays probably won’t even make him the $14 million qualifying offer necessary to receive draft pick compensation if he signs elsewhere.
If healthy he’s without question one of the best free agent pitchers available this offseason, but “if healthy” has forever been a question mark with Johnson and he may have to settle for a one-year deal at age 30.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)