Aug 28, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
Via Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:
Josh Willingham was claimed off trade waivers by at least one other team, a major-league source told the Star Tribune on Wednesday, giving the Twins until noon Friday to work out a trade or pull him back.
The source did not reveal which team has been awarded the waiver claim, but only one team has the right to negotiate a trade for the 34-year-old slugger.
The Twins can either work out a deal with that team, let Willingham go for free to that team or pull him back and keep him for the rest of the 2013 season.
Willingham has hit just .214/.346/.390 in 89 games this summer and is still owed over $8 million through the 2014 season. But he tallied 35 home runs and 110 RBI in 2012 while playing half his games at one of the more pitcher-friendly parks in the major leagues. The 34-year-old could be of help to a contender.
UPDATE, 11:59 PM ET: Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are the team that claimed Willingham off waivers and are currently trying to work out a trade with the Twins.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 46
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 23
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 35
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 6
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)