Aug 28, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
Via Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:
Josh Willingham was claimed off trade waivers by at least one other team, a major-league source told the Star Tribune on Wednesday, giving the Twins until noon Friday to work out a trade or pull him back.
The source did not reveal which team has been awarded the waiver claim, but only one team has the right to negotiate a trade for the 34-year-old slugger.
The Twins can either work out a deal with that team, let Willingham go for free to that team or pull him back and keep him for the rest of the 2013 season.
Willingham has hit just .214/.346/.390 in 89 games this summer and is still owed over $8 million through the 2014 season. But he tallied 35 home runs and 110 RBI in 2012 while playing half his games at one of the more pitcher-friendly parks in the major leagues. The 34-year-old could be of help to a contender.
UPDATE, 11:59 PM ET: Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are the team that claimed Willingham off waivers and are currently trying to work out a trade with the Twins.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)