Aug 28, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
Via Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:
Josh Willingham was claimed off trade waivers by at least one other team, a major-league source told the Star Tribune on Wednesday, giving the Twins until noon Friday to work out a trade or pull him back.
The source did not reveal which team has been awarded the waiver claim, but only one team has the right to negotiate a trade for the 34-year-old slugger.
The Twins can either work out a deal with that team, let Willingham go for free to that team or pull him back and keep him for the rest of the 2013 season.
Willingham has hit just .214/.346/.390 in 89 games this summer and is still owed over $8 million through the 2014 season. But he tallied 35 home runs and 110 RBI in 2012 while playing half his games at one of the more pitcher-friendly parks in the major leagues. The 34-year-old could be of help to a contender.
UPDATE, 11:59 PM ET: Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are the team that claimed Willingham off waivers and are currently trying to work out a trade with the Twins.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)