Justin Verlander donates $1 million to support mental health of veterans

Aug 28, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT

Justin Verlander Reuters

Justin Verlander is doing a very cool thing:

On Wednesday, the Tigers announced that Verlander has committed $1 million to launch an initiative with the Detroit Tigers Foundation to support mental health efforts of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and their families in the Detroit area as well as his home area of Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia. …

Wins for Warriors is also conducting a fundraising campaign through Crowdrise for further support, with Verlander matching each donation through the end of the regular season. He’ll also be offering up incentives to donate, from signed baseballs to on-field pregame events to an offer to watch a 2014 game from his suite at Comerica Park.

Between this and Verlander saying he’d welcome playing with a gay teammate he’s become one of my favorite players despite regularly destroying my beloved Twins.

1. rcj22001 - Aug 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM

An All-Star on, and off, the field

• mattvandy - Aug 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM

“An All-Star on, and off, the field”

That’s what she said. (Kate Upton)

• hojo20 - Aug 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM

He sucks this year.

• dianadfbest - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:18 AM

my co-worker’s step-aunt makes $88 every hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for eight months but last month her paycheck was $13262 just working on the laptop for a few hours. have a peek at this site… http://clck.ru/8oZKs

• hasbeen5 - Aug 29, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Co-worker’s step-aunt? These things are getting more ridiculous every day.

2. yahmule - Aug 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Man, that is a very kind and generous donation. The Tigers and MLB should be very proud of him.

• hk62 - Aug 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Seriously someone thumbs downed yahmule on this? Come on – JV gives back at levels that no one can complain about.

3. uyf1950 - Aug 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Very nice, very classy contribution to a group of individuals all to often forgotten once they get home. Thank you from this Yankees fan.

4. prmallon5600 - Aug 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Who are the people that “thumbs down” these comments?

• km9000 - Aug 28, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Al Qaeda, I guess.

• apmn - Aug 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Possibly due to the unfortunate combination of fat fingers and smartphones.

5. yournuts - Aug 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM

It is more than classy, it is putting your checkbook where your mouth is. As a veteren and a Yankee fan, I thank you Justin Verlander. This is outstanding contribution.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM

When I read the headline, I assumed it meant veteran MLB players. I seriously thought, man, JV is looking out for guys like Canseco and Dykstra who have obviously not transitioned well into “civilian” life. It would still be a good story, but a whole different thing.

7. smillr58 - Aug 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

HooYa Justin!

8. sdelmonte - Aug 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Bravo JV!

9. larjones64 - Aug 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Verlander is a class act in my book. I dislike him on the field in the same way I disliked Brett Favre when he was regularly destroying my beloved Vikings! I have deep admiration for JV’s ability and his heart.

10. justjrenlisted - Aug 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Justin Verlander used to make me quite angry, because he was constantly beating the Yankees. But as an Iraq veteran who has sought treatment for mental health issues, I certainly appreciate this. And it has admittedly changed my view of him.

11. cur68 - Aug 29, 2013 at 12:35 AM

/hat tip

12. irvin12589 - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Simpl amazing. Granted the guy signed a 220 million dollar extension so 1 million is like chump change to him but it is a far cry from the norm when speaking of athletes doing charity work. Typically you see “I will donate 1000 per homerun.” Which in the end typically ammounts to less then a game check for them.The only other instance I can’t even think of another athlete that has donated that high of an ammount off the top of my head right now. Simply astonishing, the guy is having one of the worst statistical seasons of his career and still goes out to do good. Hats off to you JV and stay classy.

13. 22yearsagotoday - Aug 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Thank you, Justin Verlander, for setting an example and considering the brave men and women who fought in the US military.

14. gostlcards5 - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM

That’s a class move, bro!

15. allday420ap - Aug 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM

AIGHT RESPECK

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2524)