Matt Harvey to have tests in three weeks

Aug 28, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

Matt Harvey Getty Images

Many have wondered how long the Mets will stick with the “we’re rehabbing Matt Harvey” stance before ultimately deciding on surgery. I think the answer to that is “three weeks.”  Why? Because Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said today that Harvey will rest three weeks before undergoing more tests on his elbow.

As many have noted, the list of guys with partially-torn UCLs who have come back strong after rehabbing is not long. And, given that the Mets aren’t likely to compete in 2014, there is no reason to rush Harvey back into service as opposed to cutting now and hoping for a fully-armed and operational ace in 2015.

1. anthonyverna - Aug 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I think they need to test the water in Citi Field.

• dianadfbest - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:28 AM

til I looked at the bank draft 4 $6091, I be certain that my friend could actualy making money parttime from there new laptop.. there neighbour has done this 4 only 18 months and as of now repayed the debts on their home and bourt themselves a Smart ForTwo. check my site… http://clck.ru/8oZMD

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Aug 28, 2013 at 3:25 PM

As I understand it, before any kind of complete diagnosis and treatment plan can be put together for something like this, you need to let the swelling in the arm go down anyway. That’s probably what the 3 weeks is about.

3. uyf1950 - Aug 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM

IF he does indeed need TJS he’ll be lucky if he returns by the 2014 All Star Break. I wish him the best.

• MLBlogsbig3bosox - Aug 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

If he needs TJS and comes back by the 2014 All Star Break he wouldn’t be lucky, he would be like the Adrian Peterson of MLB or even something bigger.. My point is.. no, he won’t be coming back by the All-Star or near that. Book him for 2015.

4. MyTeamsAllStink - Aug 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM

why is Tommy John not in the HOF?Look at his numbers they are better than Blylevins yet he’s in.

5. stex52 - Aug 29, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I hope he goes for it and comes back strong in 2015. He is an amazing talent, and a lot of fun to watch.

And I don’t say that lightly of any Met. :-)

Orioles turn AL East on its head