Aug 28, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Last week the Nationals indicated that they’re unlikely to call up Opening Day second baseman Danny Espinosa from the minors when rosters expand in September and now Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that they’re “trying to trade” him.
Espinosa hit .158 in 44 games for the Nationals to earn the demotion and is hitting .208 with two homers and an awful 97/18 K/BB ratio in 70 games at Triple-A. That’s enough to make any player fall out of favor with an organization and the fact that rookie Anthony Rendon is now locked in as the starting second baseman makes it even less likely that Espinosa is part of the Nationals’ long-term plans.
Of course, teams probably aren’t lining up for a guy who’s looked as lost as Espinosa this season and there are also questions about the health of his shoulder. He’s making the minimum salary this season, is cheap enough to keep around in a part-time role next year, and is under team control through at least 2016, but Espinosa is a major reclamation project.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (126)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)