Aug 28, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
On the one hand I like it when baseball stories break into the mainstream. You want more people talking about and thinking about baseball, right? It’s a good thing.
But then when it actually happens you end up with stuff like this:
… there are a lot more important things to think about than the trials and tribulations of professional sports figures. But the case of A-Rod opens a window to give us a view of where we are—and where we need to be going—as a culture.
See, no matter how much I love his game, how anyone can look at A-Rod and say anything meaningful about where we are as a culture is beyond me. He was an athletic freak from the youngest of ages, held separate and apart — and usually above — normal people. From the time he hit the bigs he has been elevated even higher. And he has done so on a pile of money most of us could never fathom.
I don’t know what makes that guy tick or whether he’s a narcissist or any other number of things he’s been called. But boy howdy I’m not sure how he, of all people, can tell us where “we” are as a culture, let alone where we need to be going.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 338
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 51
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (338)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (134)