Aug 28, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Detwiler hasn’t been cleared to throw off a mound yet, so he’s simply running out of time before the season ends. Returning as a reliever would perhaps give him a little more of a chance because Detwiler wouldn’t have to build up as much arm strength, but manager Davey Johnson indicated that the Nationals aren’t particularly keen on that idea.
Detwiler has a 4.02 ERA in 69 career starts, including a 4.04 mark in 13 starts this season. He’s under team control through 2016, so if healthy he figures to be back in the rotation next year.
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)