Aug 28, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Detwiler hasn’t been cleared to throw off a mound yet, so he’s simply running out of time before the season ends. Returning as a reliever would perhaps give him a little more of a chance because Detwiler wouldn’t have to build up as much arm strength, but manager Davey Johnson indicated that the Nationals aren’t particularly keen on that idea.
Detwiler has a 4.02 ERA in 69 career starts, including a 4.04 mark in 13 starts this season. He’s under team control through 2016, so if healthy he figures to be back in the rotation next year.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 114
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (115)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (78)