Aug 28, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Detwiler hasn’t been cleared to throw off a mound yet, so he’s simply running out of time before the season ends. Returning as a reliever would perhaps give him a little more of a chance because Detwiler wouldn’t have to build up as much arm strength, but manager Davey Johnson indicated that the Nationals aren’t particularly keen on that idea.
Detwiler has a 4.02 ERA in 69 career starts, including a 4.04 mark in 13 starts this season. He’s under team control through 2016, so if healthy he figures to be back in the rotation next year.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)