Aug 28, 2013, 8:28 AM EDT
Mentioned it in the recaps but it deserves mention again: Shane Victorino went 3 for 3 with two home runs and seven RBI against the Orioles last night. That brings his season line up to .292/.346/.446 with 11 homers, 48 driven in while adding 17 stolen bases against only three times caught. And that’s before talking about his defense which has been absolutely superb in right field.
When the Red Sox signed Victorino this past December many mocked. Including this guy, who made cracks about how a team with Bill James on the payroll could commit $13 million a year for three years to a guy who was coming off a below average season and looked to no longer be a defensive plus (at least in center). We don’t know what 2014 and 2015 will hold for Victorino, but as of now it appears as though he was one of the best if not the best free agent signings of the winter. Some will argue that no matter what he does the next two years the value he’s provided in 2013 justifies the entire $39 million deal.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 17
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)