Aug 28, 2013, 8:28 AM EDT
Mentioned it in the recaps but it deserves mention again: Shane Victorino went 3 for 3 with two home runs and seven RBI against the Orioles last night. That brings his season line up to .292/.346/.446 with 11 homers, 48 driven in while adding 17 stolen bases against only three times caught. And that’s before talking about his defense which has been absolutely superb in right field.
When the Red Sox signed Victorino this past December many mocked. Including this guy, who made cracks about how a team with Bill James on the payroll could commit $13 million a year for three years to a guy who was coming off a below average season and looked to no longer be a defensive plus (at least in center). We don’t know what 2014 and 2015 will hold for Victorino, but as of now it appears as though he was one of the best if not the best free agent signings of the winter. Some will argue that no matter what he does the next two years the value he’s provided in 2013 justifies the entire $39 million deal.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 3
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 136
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (135)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)