Aug 28, 2013, 8:28 AM EDT
Mentioned it in the recaps but it deserves mention again: Shane Victorino went 3 for 3 with two home runs and seven RBI against the Orioles last night. That brings his season line up to .292/.346/.446 with 11 homers, 48 driven in while adding 17 stolen bases against only three times caught. And that’s before talking about his defense which has been absolutely superb in right field.
When the Red Sox signed Victorino this past December many mocked. Including this guy, who made cracks about how a team with Bill James on the payroll could commit $13 million a year for three years to a guy who was coming off a below average season and looked to no longer be a defensive plus (at least in center). We don’t know what 2014 and 2015 will hold for Victorino, but as of now it appears as though he was one of the best if not the best free agent signings of the winter. Some will argue that no matter what he does the next two years the value he’s provided in 2013 justifies the entire $39 million deal.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 9
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (69)