Shane Victorino had a whale of a night

Aug 28, 2013, 8:28 AM EDT

Shane Victorino AP

Mentioned it in the recaps but it deserves mention again: Shane Victorino went 3 for 3 with two home runs and seven RBI against the Orioles last night. That brings his season line up to .292/.346/.446 with 11 homers, 48 driven in while adding 17 stolen bases against only three times caught. And that’s before talking about his defense which has been absolutely superb in right field.

When the Red Sox signed Victorino this past December many mocked. Including this guy, who made cracks about how a team with Bill James on the payroll could commit $13 million a year for three years to a guy who was coming off a below average season and looked to no longer be a defensive plus (at least in center). We don’t know what 2014 and 2015 will hold for Victorino, but as of now it appears as though he was one of the best if not the best free agent signings of the winter. Some will argue that no matter what he does the next two years the value he’s provided in 2013 justifies the entire $39 million deal.

Also in the conversation: Torii Hunter, Russell Martin, Francisco Liriano and Zack Greinke. Possibly Marlon Byrd. But there is no doubt that the Sox did well snagging the Flyin’ Hawaiian.

1. greymares - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM

as a Philly fan and a Victorino fan. this one really is on Rueben.

2. unclemosesgreen - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:36 AM

THE POWER OF POI!!! And beards. Can’t forget the beards.

Mmm… leftover beard poi – flavor saver.

3. Jonny 5 - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:36 AM

This is one guy I was very upset the Phillies didn’t re-sign. He would have stayed in Philly for 3 years 30M easily. Another Ruben Amaro mistake which leads us to where the Phills are today.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Getting rid of Victorino and adding Delmon Young – looked totally foolproof – who could have guessed that wouldn’t work out? As a Red Sox fan I would certainly like to thank RAJ.

• ryanrockzzz - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I dont know, Victorino was pretty awful last year in Philly. Part of that was lineup protection- he has no pressure on him in Boston, and has other players who can carry the load. Last year he was front and center as a key cog in the team, especially with no Howard and Utely. That’s when he got exposed. This year, it would have been no different, as the Phillies stil wouldnt have had a lineup that could protect him from the pressure.
      He also was a pain in the ass in the clubhouse. Multiple reporters had stories on how he was a “me” guy and didn’t exactly help the culture of the team last year.

I think everyone involved needed a fresh start, and I’m glad to see him doing well in Boston, but I was/still am happy he is outta Philly.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Seriously? 1 “awful” season where he was still worth a 1.5 WAR and you’re ready to ship him out of town? That’s a ridiculous way to run a team first of all, and totally unfair to the guy. I can’t believe 1 season, that is still better than average is enough to ship the guy off. You can’t be serious. He’s been on average a 4 WAR player since 2007. Don’t make me do it! That’s it, i’m doing it. SMH…..

• Jonny 5 - Aug 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM

And furthermore if you believe the false narrative coming from the Philly beat writers you just aren’t thinking clearly. Sure he had a dust up with Lee ONE time. But, to say he was bad in the clubhouse because some beat writers chose it to be so?

BTW, I’m an attorney for one of your distant relatives who just died. I have this lump sum of 1 million dollars I don’t know what to do with so I might as well deposit it into your bank account. Just forward me all of your bank info and i’ll transfer it immediately mmmkay?

• drunkenhooliganism - Aug 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I didn’t mind seeing Victorino go because he plays stupid baseball. Maybe he was a “me” guy. But Amaro signed, papelbon, the biggest “me” guy since Reggie Jackson to an absurd contract. He’s not trying to clear the clubhouse of selfish players.

Just because I say that Victorino plays stupid baseball doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy the Victorino era.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM

J5, you are arguing with someone who used 9 cliches in his response with zero math to back up and argument. You’re not going to win.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

COPO, rarely do I ever expect to win an argument over the internet anyway. I just hope I can help enlighten people the the fact that sometimes your eyes just lie to you. Make my point and cut the hell out of dodge before bullets start flying. ;>P

4. proudlycanadian - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Victorino has had a good season, but I will always prefer Alan Ladd in the role of Shane.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM

How scary was Jack Palance in that movie? Awesome performance…

• proudlycanadian - Aug 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM

He was Walter Jack Palance then. Other character actors included Elisha Cook Jr. (The Maltese Falcon), Brandon deWilde (Blue Denim, Hud) and the great Ben Johnson (Rio Grande, The Wild Bunch, The Last Picture Show etc.)

• aceshigh11 - Aug 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

The “thumbs down” psycho is extra psychotic this morning.

I think HBT just needs to disable thumbs up/thumbs down. It could be a kinda fun feature, but the abuse of it makes it worthless.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM

It does appear to be a Yankee fan. Most Yankee fans on HBT are fine, but there is a psycho in every bunch.

5. aceshigh11 - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Solid, solid signing by the Sox. Worked out really well. A bit overpaid? Perhaps, but I’ll take it. The guy is a good player when healthy, and an excellent teammate and clubhouse presence.

6. bobwsc - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM

‘suburb’ defense…that’s a headscratcher.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM

That basically means Shane has been playing defense all season wearing a short-sleeved Polo golf shirt, Dad jeans and sensible moccasins (no socks).

He also waters the outfield lawn with a garden hose between plays.

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I think Craig meant to say, he tries real hard on defense, as evidenced by his willingness to almost break ribs to catch a home run.

7. deathmonkey41 - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Him and Mike Napoli had one of those spirited discussions before the game about whether it’s called sauce or gravy- so he was already fired up when he took the field.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM

If it’s cooked with meat – it’s gravy.

All gravies are sauces but not all sauces are gravies.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM

MMMM Gravyyyyyyy……..

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Is it almost Sunday yet? Sunday Gravy y’all!

8. thomas844 - Aug 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM

And to think the Reds had an opportunity just last year to trade Logan Ondrusek straight up for Victorino. SMH.

9. papacrick - Aug 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Tori hunter same position, better numbers, and cheaper. Not sure how this guy can be considered the best signing because he had a great game last night

10. modellforprez - Aug 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

So nice to see 3 Pirates as possible honorable mentions. Frankie Liriano def. deserves recognition while we Just Aquired Marlon “purple city” Byrd Gang yesterday.he is having a good career year. And last and least Rusty “offense” Martin Duke mihjt have a cannon for a arm to nail woild be base stealers except last night when in arguably the most important game for the Buccs in 20 years he allowed Johnathan Lucroy to steal second on his way to the winning run. other than that he has been wonderful besides he has been struggling with the Bat

11. homelanddefense - Aug 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I remember when they signed him….it was during the off season when a ton of PHT expert commenters where telling us all how awful the Sox were going to be this year.

12. sjhaack - Aug 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Why did the Phillies want to sign a 32 YO guy to 10m a year on a down year? Boston took a RISK, it’s not like the Phillies let this slip away. Until he got hurt, the Phillies were getting similar value out of a guy 8 years younger for 1/20th the price and 4 years of team-option control.

You know how to make Shanf have a chance at equalling the value of his contract? Never let him hit left handed again.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5570)