Aug 28, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Jesse Crain was on the disabled list when the Rays acquired him from the White Sox and they did so knowing there was a chance he might never pitch for them because of a shoulder injury.
Crain remains on the DL nearly a month later and manager Joe Maddon told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that the reliever is “kinda stuck right now” with his rehab and the Rays will need to see “significant movement” soon or give up on him pitching again this year.
Tampa Bay gave up a player to be named later or cash considerations, with Chicago’s compensation likely being determined by how much he pitched for the Rays. It was an interesting gamble that doesn’t look likely to pay off for the Rays. And it’s especially tough timing for Crain, an impending free agent who was in the midst of a career-year before the injury.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 18
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 66
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)