Aug 28, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Hughes failed to make it out of the fifth inning yesterday against the Blue Jays, falling to 4-13 with a 4.91 ERA on the year and 2-11 with a 5.12 ERA since back-to-back victories in May.
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger asked Joe Girardi about Hughes’ status in the rotation and the manager replied: “We’ll see. We’ll see how it goes.” McCullough also writes that pitching coach Larry Rothschild “sounded weary discussing the situation” and the unsuccessful efforts he’s made to get Hughes to repeat his delivery consistently.
David Huff or Adam Warren could replace Hughes in the rotation and it’s possible that the Yankees could then shift Hughes back into the bullpen role he filled very well in 2009, but that was a long time and an awful lot of poor starts ago. It’d be pretty shocking to see the Yankees trust Hughes in high-leverage relief spots down the stretch. He’s headed to free agency with his value at an all-time low.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)