Aug 28, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
Yasiel Puig was removed in the fifth inning of today’s Dodgers-Cubs game. He’s sitting on the bench, however, and is not having an injury tended to. It appears, actually, that he’s being disciplined for something:
Steiner: Puig removed due to manager’s discretion. No injury. so it’s Obviously disciplinary
Not watching the game so I’m not sure if he missed a cutoff man, made a base running mistake or jumped into a conga line. Some are tweeting that he didn’t slide when he should have in the first inning. But when we hear, we’ll update.
UPDATE, 7:08 PM ET: Here’s the scoop from the clubhouse after the game:
Puig said Mattingly pulled him because he wasn’t ready on defense for every pitch. Puig said he understood Mattingly’s decision.
— Dylan Hernandez (@dylanohernandez) August 28, 2013
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8