Aug 29, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
As expected Bartolo Colon is back with the A’s after spending the past two weeks on the disabled list with a groin injury. He’ll face the Tigers this afternoon in Detroit.
Colon has been fantastic for the A’s, improving on what was a shockingly good 2012 season by going 14-5 with a 2.97 ERA and league-leading three complete-game shutouts in 24 starts at age 40.
However, he was roughed up in his last two starts before going on the disabled list, failing to make it out of the fifth inning in both games while allowing a total of 10 runs in 6.2 innings. And now gets a tough return matchup against the Tigers (with winning machine Max Scherzer opposing him).
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)