Aug 29, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
As expected Bartolo Colon is back with the A’s after spending the past two weeks on the disabled list with a groin injury. He’ll face the Tigers this afternoon in Detroit.
Colon has been fantastic for the A’s, improving on what was a shockingly good 2012 season by going 14-5 with a 2.97 ERA and league-leading three complete-game shutouts in 24 starts at age 40.
However, he was roughed up in his last two starts before going on the disabled list, failing to make it out of the fifth inning in both games while allowing a total of 10 runs in 6.2 innings. And now gets a tough return matchup against the Tigers (with winning machine Max Scherzer opposing him).
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 74
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)