Aug 29, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Heading into Monday’s start at Coors Field all indications were that Barry Zito was pitching for his spot in the Giants’ rotation and he predictably struggled, so now he’s getting the boot with a month remaining on his massive contract.
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants are currently listing Sunday’s starter at “TBA” instead of Zito and manager Bruce Bochy is hinting that Yusmeiro Petit will get the nod against the Diamondbacks in Arizona.
Zito is 0-8 with a 9.25 ERA on the road this season and 0-7 with a 7.78 ERA in 61 innings overall since June 1. He’ll get another $8 million when the Giants buy out his 2014 option and then hit the open market as a free agent this offseason.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 25
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 20
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 22
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 32
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (99)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)