Aug 29, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Heading into Monday’s start at Coors Field all indications were that Barry Zito was pitching for his spot in the Giants’ rotation and he predictably struggled, so now he’s getting the boot with a month remaining on his massive contract.
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants are currently listing Sunday’s starter at “TBA” instead of Zito and manager Bruce Bochy is hinting that Yusmeiro Petit will get the nod against the Diamondbacks in Arizona.
Zito is 0-8 with a 9.25 ERA on the road this season and 0-7 with a 7.78 ERA in 61 innings overall since June 1. He’ll get another $8 million when the Giants buy out his 2014 option and then hit the open market as a free agent this offseason.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)