Aug 29, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Heading into Monday’s start at Coors Field all indications were that Barry Zito was pitching for his spot in the Giants’ rotation and he predictably struggled, so now he’s getting the boot with a month remaining on his massive contract.
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants are currently listing Sunday’s starter at “TBA” instead of Zito and manager Bruce Bochy is hinting that Yusmeiro Petit will get the nod against the Diamondbacks in Arizona.
Zito is 0-8 with a 9.25 ERA on the road this season and 0-7 with a 7.78 ERA in 61 innings overall since June 1. He’ll get another $8 million when the Giants buy out his 2014 option and then hit the open market as a free agent this offseason.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)