Aug 29, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Heading into Monday’s start at Coors Field all indications were that Barry Zito was pitching for his spot in the Giants’ rotation and he predictably struggled, so now he’s getting the boot with a month remaining on his massive contract.
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants are currently listing Sunday’s starter at “TBA” instead of Zito and manager Bruce Bochy is hinting that Yusmeiro Petit will get the nod against the Diamondbacks in Arizona.
Zito is 0-8 with a 9.25 ERA on the road this season and 0-7 with a 7.78 ERA in 61 innings overall since June 1. He’ll get another $8 million when the Giants buy out his 2014 option and then hit the open market as a free agent this offseason.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15