Aug 29, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Heading into Monday’s start at Coors Field all indications were that Barry Zito was pitching for his spot in the Giants’ rotation and he predictably struggled, so now he’s getting the boot with a month remaining on his massive contract.
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that the Giants are currently listing Sunday’s starter at “TBA” instead of Zito and manager Bruce Bochy is hinting that Yusmeiro Petit will get the nod against the Diamondbacks in Arizona.
Zito is 0-8 with a 9.25 ERA on the road this season and 0-7 with a 7.78 ERA in 61 innings overall since June 1. He’ll get another $8 million when the Giants buy out his 2014 option and then hit the open market as a free agent this offseason.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)