Daniel Bard is still a mess

Aug 29, 2013, 3:15 PM EST

Daniel Bard Reuters Reuters

After taking three months off with an abdominal strain Red Sox right-hander Daniel Bard returned to game action in the minors and showed that healthy or not his control problems haven’t gone away.

Pitching in a rookie-ball game against teenage hitters today, Bard walked five of the six batters he faced and uncorked two wild pitches before being yanked. He’s now walked 22 batters in 13 innings in the minors this season.

Suffice it to say he doesn’t seem likely to get a September call-up to Boston.

1. southofheaven81 - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Wild thing!
    You make my heart sing!
    You walk everything!

2. number42is1 - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

soooooooooooooo is he the Joba of the Sox? or maybe the Hughes?

• aceshigh11 - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Sorry to say, he’s WAAAAY worse than those two. He’ll be lucky if he ever pitches in MLB again at this rate.

3. proudlycanadian - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

He missed 3 months and was just a bit rusty. Nothing to worry about. I hope to see him back pitching for the Red Sox in September.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM

There’s more of a chance of that than of seeing any Jays pitcher pitching in October.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM

That is true.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I’m not going dirtyharry on you…just jabbing you a little. ;)

I wish Bard could help us out, but it looks like his confidence is shot.

• Jack Marshall - Aug 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM

You have to be kidding. “Rusty” ? He’s ruined, is what he is. Full-bore Steve Blass disease, and it’s tragic.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 30, 2013 at 4:37 AM

I was most certainly kidding. Not sure about the tragic part. Still, as a Jays fan, I would love to see Bard in a Red Sox uniform.

• bobwsc - Aug 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

do you just copy and paste from all your other crappy Bard related postings?

still holding down your spot on the Jays world series parade route?

4. cadillacjosh - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Man he went from one of the best relievers in the game to this guy. Blows my mind everytime I think about it.

5. bosoxfan15 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I blame Bobby V! You don’t go from being unhittable to not being able to hit the broad side of arods bitch tits over night. Seriously, arod has huge moobs.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2756)
  2. W. Myers (2509)
  3. D. Ross (2150)
  4. C. McGehee (2110)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1957)
  1. J. Shields (1855)