Aug 29, 2013, 11:03 AM EST
Wish I had thought to put this one in This Week in Hardball History, but a day after Puig was benched, this is oh-so-very appropriate.
On this day in 1925, Babe Ruth showed up late for batting practice after a night on the town. Yankees manager Miller Huggins suspended Ruth and slapped a $5,000 fine on him — which, adjusted for inflation is around $66,000 — for disobeying orders. Ruth was forced to apologize before he was reinstated nine days later.
Ruth finally arrived a few minutes before game time and Huggins jumped all over him. Ruth explained he had been at a Negro League game watching the St. Louis Stars, and said “he didn’t need any batting practice to hit against a bunch of bums like the Browns.”
Puig is a mere piker. Unless of course he said he was late and loafing and stuff due to the fact that opponents were the Marlins and Cubs.
In other news, can you imagine how this would’ve been covered if we had sports talk radio, the Internet, cable news and various social media platforms? Mercy.
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 35
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 44
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 33
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)