Aug 29, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Justin Upton was diagnosed with a left hand contusion after he was hit by a pitch by the Indians’ Ubaldo Jimenez earlier this evening. He is considered day-to-day.
Upton was hit by the pitch in the bottom of the fifth inning. It appeared that he would stay in the game initially, as he began to walk over to first base after being examined by a team trainer, but the Braves understandably didn’t want to take any chances.
Upton, 26, is batting .265/.358/.477 with 24 home runs and 64 RBI in 122 games this season. He went 2-for-2 tonight after going 1-for-18 with six strikeouts over his previous five games.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (117)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)