Aug 29, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Justin Upton was diagnosed with a left hand contusion after he was hit by a pitch by the Indians’ Ubaldo Jimenez earlier this evening. He is considered day-to-day.
Upton was hit by the pitch in the bottom of the fifth inning. It appeared that he would stay in the game initially, as he began to walk over to first base after being examined by a team trainer, but the Braves understandably didn’t want to take any chances.
Upton, 26, is batting .265/.358/.477 with 24 home runs and 64 RBI in 122 games this season. He went 2-for-2 tonight after going 1-for-18 with six strikeouts over his previous five games.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 61
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)