Aug 29, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Justin Upton was diagnosed with a left hand contusion after he was hit by a pitch by the Indians’ Ubaldo Jimenez earlier this evening. He is considered day-to-day.
Upton was hit by the pitch in the bottom of the fifth inning. It appeared that he would stay in the game initially, as he began to walk over to first base after being examined by a team trainer, but the Braves understandably didn’t want to take any chances.
Upton, 26, is batting .265/.358/.477 with 24 home runs and 64 RBI in 122 games this season. He went 2-for-2 tonight after going 1-for-18 with six strikeouts over his previous five games.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 83
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (84)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)