Aug 29, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Justin Upton was diagnosed with a left hand contusion after he was hit by a pitch by the Indians’ Ubaldo Jimenez earlier this evening. He is considered day-to-day.
Upton was hit by the pitch in the bottom of the fifth inning. It appeared that he would stay in the game initially, as he began to walk over to first base after being examined by a team trainer, but the Braves understandably didn’t want to take any chances.
Upton, 26, is batting .265/.358/.477 with 24 home runs and 64 RBI in 122 games this season. He went 2-for-2 tonight after going 1-for-18 with six strikeouts over his previous five games.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)