Aug 29, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera gave the Tigers quite the scare this afternoon when he was forced to exit with abdominal discomfort following an awkward slide into second base in the fifth inning, but just like with his recent nagging injuries, he plans to play through the pain.
According to Bobby NIghtengale of MLB.com, Cabrera said after today’s game that he intends to be in the lineup tomorrow night when the team begins a three-game series against the second-place Indians.
“I’m OK,” Cabrera said. “I’ll play tomorrow. Don’t worry.”
Tigers manager Jim Leyland said that Cabrera was dealing with pain from his abdomen to his groin, which is why he grabbed at his left leg/knee area after the slide. With his mobility severely limited, it would probably be a good idea for him to take a few days off. And while he doesn’t intend to miss any time right now, that could happen if the Tigers create a little more distance between themselves and the Indians this weekend. They are up six games at the moment. Of course, taking some days off down the stretch may hurt Cabrera’s chances for a second straight Triple Crown, but this team has designs on redemption after getting swept in the World Series last year.
Cabrera currently leads the American League with a .359 batting average and 130 RBI. He ranks second with 43 home runs, just four behind the Orioles’ Chris Davis.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)