Aug 29, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
Miguel Cabrera gave the Tigers quite the scare this afternoon when he was forced to exit with abdominal discomfort following an awkward slide into second base in the fifth inning, but just like with his recent nagging injuries, he plans to play through the pain.
According to Bobby NIghtengale of MLB.com, Cabrera said after today’s game that he intends to be in the lineup tomorrow night when the team begins a three-game series against the second-place Indians.
“I’m OK,” Cabrera said. “I’ll play tomorrow. Don’t worry.”
Tigers manager Jim Leyland said that Cabrera was dealing with pain from his abdomen to his groin, which is why he grabbed at his left leg/knee area after the slide. With his mobility severely limited, it would probably be a good idea for him to take a few days off. And while he doesn’t intend to miss any time right now, that could happen if the Tigers create a little more distance between themselves and the Indians this weekend. They are up six games at the moment. Of course, taking some days off down the stretch may hurt Cabrera’s chances for a second straight Triple Crown, but this team has designs on redemption after getting swept in the World Series last year.
Cabrera currently leads the American League with a .359 batting average and 130 RBI. He ranks second with 43 home runs, just four behind the Orioles’ Chris Davis.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)