UPDATE: Miguel Cabrera day-to-day with “abdominal discomfort”

Aug 29, 2013, 2:52 PM EST

UPDATE: The Tigers have released a preliminary diagnosis on Caberea:

Frankly, with his hip issues and other minor ailments he’s been “day to day” for a good month. But add another ache to the pile.

2:52 PM: The Tigers series against the A’s has been a disaster on many levels. They dropped the first three and, with Max Scherzer on the mound today, find themselves down 6-1 as the bulldog goes to press.  Hard to get worse than that.

Oh wait, yes it can:

We’ll update when something official comes out. But if Cabrera has a bum hamstring the Tigers could be without the reigning and presumptive MVP for a while.

1. dondada10 - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Hope it’s nothing serious. I love watching this guy hit.

2. El Bravo - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

First Felix and now this? My aces are getting crushed! In Sale I trust. #unimportantfantasyissues

3. flamethrower101 - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Miggy has played admirably through a lot of ailments this 2nd half, but everyone has their breaking point. Here’s hoping this isn’t his, because I would absolutely love to see him repeat as Triple Crown & MVP winner.

4. aceshigh11 - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

If that isn’t a meltdown, I don’t know what is.

Hope Cabrera is okay though.

5. proudlycanadian - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Gloom! Not yet Doom.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM

The Tigers WON! Balfour had a meltdown in the 9th inning. No loss for Blue Eye.

6. daveitsgood - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I’m working from home today because I didn’t want to deal with BART with the Bay Bridge being closed, so I’m watching the game off and on and my question is, how does Cabrera hurt himself when he seemingly had only one speed, jog. He hits the ball to right center, he’s jogging down the line to first, can see the play in front of him, Coco fields the ball cleanly off the wall and Miggy decides to make the turn and continue jogging into second?

• proudlycanadian - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Simple! He was playing hurt to begin with. That robbed him of some of his mobility.

• daveitsgood - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Then why try to stretch it into a double? It would have been a hustle stand up double for some with speed, but Miggy isn’t a burner on the bases to begin with, then couple that with being hurt, go station to station and not further aggravate an injury unnecessarily.

7. historiophiliac - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Hmmm, Tigers’ tweet said abdominal discomfort…

8. dwrek5 - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Tummy ache

• historiophiliac - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I had TWO coneys at lunch.

9. J. Robert Hanson - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Sounds like a spastic colon. Just saying.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Colon was pitching for Oakland.

10. illegalblues - Aug 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I too have some bad gas today. get well soon, slugger

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester