Aug 29, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post Dispatch is one of the best local sports columnists in the country and also doesn’t engage in the shouting and trolling and overall buffoonery of so many big names in the same industry, so when he criticizes Cardinals manager Mike Matheny like this it made me take notice:
The increasingly and bizarrely petulant manager Mike Matheny resorted to spitting out one-word answers and tapping impatiently on the interview podium in a childish response to reasonable postgame questions.
In fairness to Matheny he’d just watched a blowout loss to the rival Reds in which Adam Wainwright had one of the worst starts of his career. Of course, Miklasz noted in the same column that Wainwright had a much different response to reporters asking about the ugly game:
Wainwright — as usual — gave mature, thoughtful, forthright adult answers when asked about his condition.
Matheny doesn’t want to talk about the possibility of Wainwright’s heavy workload causing him to wear down, but when a pitcher has a league-high five complete games and struggles immediately following a 128-pitch start it’s certainly a reasonable topic of inquiry. On the other hand, at least Matheny didn’t lash out and angrily call any reporters names.
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal 94
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (94)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)