Aug 29, 2013, 10:31 PM EST
Don’t sleep on the Nationals. Aided by seven scoreless innings from Gio Gonzalez and home runs from Jayson Werth, Bryce Harper, and Ian Desmond, the Nationals wrapped up a three-game sweep of the Marlins tonight with a 9-0 victory at Nationals Park.
Gonzalez gave up just three hits (all of them singles) and three walks while striking out eight. The victory was his first since way back on July 10. Werth’s homer was his fourth in his past seven games and 13th since the beginning of July. His OPS is up to .947 for the season.
The Nationals have won eight out of their last nine games to improve to 68-65 for the year and will go into Friday’s action 6 1/2 games behind the Reds for the second Wild Card spot. As Craig mentioned this morning, they have a pretty soft schedule the rest of the way, so stranger things have happened.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)