Aug 29, 2013, 7:42 PM EST
Neftali Feliz has been out all season rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, but he’s on track to be activated by the Rangers after rosters expand on Sunday. The 25-year-old right-hander confirmed as much this afternoon by writing on his Twitter account that he’s en route to Oakland, where the Rangers will begin an important three-game series on Monday.
Feliz had a minor setback in his rehab earlier this month due to triceps tendinitis, but he has tossed eight scoreless innings with Triple-A Round Rock since returning to action. During that time, he has impressively struck out nine batters while allowing three hits and no walks. While he tossed three innings last night, the Rangers are planning to use him as a reliever in the short-term. Feliz figures to get another chance to start next spring, but he could still play an important role for the first-place Rangers down the stretch and during a possible postseason run.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro’s agent denies his client’s involvement in Dominican Republic shooting 33
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (244)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)