Quote of the Day: Ron Darling on Brandon Phillips

Aug 29, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds Photo Day Getty Images

Brandon Phillips lashing out at a reporter yesterday has led to a lot of interesting discussions about the player/reporter relationship. My favorite is by Will Leitch of Sports On Earth, who wrote an interesting article about the power struggle that players always dominate.

While announcing this afternoon’s Mets game Ron Darling also had a good quote about the whole situation, via our resident Mets fan D.J. Short:

They think they’re gonna embarrass the writer in front of others. What happens is they embarrass themselves.

That’s well put and particularly good coming from Darling, who transitioned from high-profile athlete to high-profile media member and did it very well.

1. dexterismyhero - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Phillips is a d-bag

• js20011041 - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

You’re trolling, right? I don’t know, and can’t speak for dexterismyhero. He may or may not be a racist. But I’m pretty sure that calling someone a douchebag isn’t synonymous with racism.

• braddavery - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM

lol This is this guy’s “thing”. He just trolls around the boards calling people racist for no reason. The loser did it to me too.

• yahmule - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM

This asshole “historlophiliac” is trying to make respected HBT poster historiophiliac look bad by posting contentious nonsense.

I think the root cause of his problem is fetal alcohol syndrome triggered microphallism.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

And you…are a frontin’, fake ass, handle stealing embarrassment.

• cur68 - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Holy shit. I didn’t even notice that was the old “similar handle” ploy. Someone did this to me early on. Anyone remember “curr68″? That extra ‘r’ fooled lots of people. I wonder if its the same idiot. I used to call him “mini-me” and treat him like a mentally-defective cast-off autonomous body part. I miss the dimwitted lil buffoon. He made me laugh…

Looks like ‘philliac’s got her own “mini-me”. Its actually quite a compliment. You aint anyone until you’ve got your own personal troll.

• cur68 - Aug 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM

aaaaaand Aaron deleted “historlophiliac”. Oh well. His was but a brief madness….

• indaburg - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Dang, I missed the fun.

As for Darling’s quote, I picked my childhood crush well, no? Cute and smart. My tastes haven’t changed much.

• cur68 - Aug 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM

You got GREAT taste. Now have your boys stop beating my boys, ok?

• indaburg - Aug 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Have your boys start beating the Yankees, ok? Then we’ll talk.

• cur68 - Aug 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM

sigh

My boys don’t do that. They can barely beat Astros (sorry Stex). What if I bribe you with my body?

• indaburg - Aug 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I’ll think about it.

• Walk - Aug 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM

As short as my handle is someone got me too about two years ago. Word press had an exploit where you could post as another user if you knew their email address. One of my old posts was used and copied word for word. I had originally made a post on a retiring player, the new post was on another player retiring and they changed the player name to match and then went through adding spelling errors and random punctuation. I have a hard enough time with grammar that I require little help looking foolish. I never did find out who did it, I just ignored it and it stopped shortly after I made some changes in my profile.

2. aceshigh11 - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM

It’s an old quote, and it’s specific to newspapers, but it still holds:

“Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.”

• yahmule - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I think Mencken said it, but well after Benjamin Franklin had made it his personal credo.

• Kevin S. - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

At Medill, it’s attributed to Casey Stengel.

• bshakey - Aug 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Of all that I’ve read about the BP story this quote tops them all. Thanks.

3. Kevin Gillman - Aug 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM

It’s amazing BP, through his good numbers has always been a man who is vulnerable, and anytime there was something negative, he’d lash out. He was very bitter for many years when the Indians traded him to the Reds, primarily because he and Eric Wedge never saw eye to eye with each other, and now we see this. Dude needs to grow up, because the simple fact is not everyone is going to like you. I hope he apologizes to the beat writer, because he made a complete ass out of himself. No excuses there.

• Kevin Gillman - Aug 29, 2013 at 11:28 PM

WHERE did I ever say I was not over it? Show me, please do, because honestly, I would rather have Jason Kipnis over that arrogant piece of crap anyday. Don’t get me wrong, BP excelled in Cincy, but the way he treated that beat writer, his own beat writer, and the way he treats any negativity made me lose any respect I might have had for him. But I am sure he isn’t losing any sleep, wait a second….he might because it’s a negative post concerning him.

4. bengalsucker - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Well what the rest of the media seems to forget to mention is the fact that this happens more often than everyone knows. Even C. Trent stated this isn’t the first time and it won’t be the last. Hell, one reporter was saying that Griffey Jr. and Dunn would throw water bottles in his vacinity while he’s in the club house or they’d put a ball in a towel and swing it near him because they didn’t like him. Yet we’re making Phillips out to be the only player to ever tell off a member of the media. Let’s keep it in perspective. He isn’t the only one and sure won’t be the last one to do it. But of course the media will continue to defend their guy and bash Phillips. You’d think a prerequisite for media would be to stay thick skinned because you’re dealing with rich athletes who are, at times, under extreme pressure from us fans to win. And things build up if you’re not winning. The Reds had just come off of two of the biggest losses of the season. Of course tensions are high. I’m by no means defending Phillips. His choice of words was pretty upsetting to me considering I’m a heavy guy. But to make him out to be the only athlete to have ever done this is absurd. Just think, your favorite player has probably, at some point, gone off on a reporter and said some less than desireable things. Yeah, it probably has happened. Deal with it.

• yahmule - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

The everybody else does it defense. Everything we need to know we really did learn in kindergarten.

• danaking - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM

The fact that other players do it doesn’t mean Phillips isn’t a douchebag; it means they are, too.

• bengalsucker - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Didn’t say that either. I simply stated that everyone is harping on Phillips and making him out to be the only one who does it or has done it. Of course Cardinal fans are going to come in here and bash him because he called their team out and told them like it was. But I bet I can name 2 Cardinals players who have done the very same thing to reporters because they got pissed. Chris Carpenter and Molina. Hell Carpenter got all over a teammate because of a glove situation in a game. Dude is a 1st class douche bag. And don’t even get me started on the wanna be cholo Molina. Baseball would be much better off without that scum. Spitting on umps and lunging at them to attack them? Really? And Cardinals fans will continue to preach how “classy” they are. Just the opposite.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 29, 2013 at 6:04 PM

It could also be because Phillips was wrong in his analysis, and the reporter was right. So not only is BP an ass, he’s an ass who’s wrong.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 29, 2013 at 5:52 PM

“Spitting on umps and lunging at them to attack them?”

Hello hyperbole. Meet the sucker. Wow…you still have it bad huh?
      Next time I am in the Queen City I will buy you a beer.

• junglerat524 - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Well said.

Haters gonna hate though anyway.

5. earpaniac - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Danaking, you just cheered me up.

6. modellforprez - Aug 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM

puck fhillips

• bengalsucker - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM

butt hurt Cards fan obviously

• largebill - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM

One needn’t be a fan of a rival team to disapprove of Phillips’ behavior. I live here in Cincinnati and I am able to look past which team he plays for enough to disapprove of his inability to express his disagreement with a reporter without calling the man a M-F’r multiple times.

• cincinata - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Bengal Boy:

Slow down You are not old enough to be a Reds fan at my level. So, slow down with the insults. The reason Phillips is wrong is that he is a hot head, and even though I appreciate his athletic ability, he is a poor sport and a big HOTDOG. That was a problem Joe Morgan spoke to him about after leaving Cleveland. Joe told him this was going to be his last chance to “make it” in the biggs.That is the reason guys like Jr. and Dunn had a little fun with him. For you to say that Molina (the best catcher in the game and possibly since my fav Bench), is no good is stupid. He is certainly headed for the HOF, and the brush up with Brandon had no impact on it. You ruin your cred with everybody with that talk. Who started the problems with the Molina Phillips feud is debatable and there is fault on both sides. This latest problem with the press just shows how juvenile and foolish this guy is and he had better do something to correct it. He is already losing my support for my fav Red (fast). So, calm down and try to speak with some amount of intelligence.

7. tfbuckfutter - Aug 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Rob Darling is a good person to comment on this because, interestingly, they have the same career on-base percentage.

• cincinata - Aug 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM

A bit of an exaggeration, right?

8. Walk - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I like bp but that writer owned him in the argument, just like he will own him when it comes award season and in his column.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3708)