Aug 29, 2013, 2:14 PM EST
Brandon Phillips lashing out at a reporter yesterday has led to a lot of interesting discussions about the player/reporter relationship. My favorite is by Will Leitch of Sports On Earth, who wrote an interesting article about the power struggle that players always dominate.
While announcing this afternoon’s Mets game Ron Darling also had a good quote about the whole situation, via our resident Mets fan D.J. Short:
They think they’re gonna embarrass the writer in front of others. What happens is they embarrass themselves.
That’s well put and particularly good coming from Darling, who transitioned from high-profile athlete to high-profile media member and did it very well.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 0
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 154
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (154)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)
- Nationals acquire Doug Fister from Tigers (68)