Aug 29, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Brandon Phillips lashing out at a reporter yesterday has led to a lot of interesting discussions about the player/reporter relationship. My favorite is by Will Leitch of Sports On Earth, who wrote an interesting article about the power struggle that players always dominate.
While announcing this afternoon’s Mets game Ron Darling also had a good quote about the whole situation, via our resident Mets fan D.J. Short:
They think they’re gonna embarrass the writer in front of others. What happens is they embarrass themselves.
That’s well put and particularly good coming from Darling, who transitioned from high-profile athlete to high-profile media member and did it very well.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)