Aug 29, 2013, 2:14 PM EST
Brandon Phillips lashing out at a reporter yesterday has led to a lot of interesting discussions about the player/reporter relationship. My favorite is by Will Leitch of Sports On Earth, who wrote an interesting article about the power struggle that players always dominate.
While announcing this afternoon’s Mets game Ron Darling also had a good quote about the whole situation, via our resident Mets fan D.J. Short:
They think they’re gonna embarrass the writer in front of others. What happens is they embarrass themselves.
That’s well put and particularly good coming from Darling, who transitioned from high-profile athlete to high-profile media member and did it very well.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)