Aug 29, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Brandon Phillips lashing out at a reporter yesterday has led to a lot of interesting discussions about the player/reporter relationship. My favorite is by Will Leitch of Sports On Earth, who wrote an interesting article about the power struggle that players always dominate.
While announcing this afternoon’s Mets game Ron Darling also had a good quote about the whole situation, via our resident Mets fan D.J. Short:
They think they’re gonna embarrass the writer in front of others. What happens is they embarrass themselves.
That’s well put and particularly good coming from Darling, who transitioned from high-profile athlete to high-profile media member and did it very well.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)