Aug 29, 2013, 6:23 PM EST
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Chase Headley was claimed off revocable waivers by an unidentified team and pulled back by the Padres. As a result, he is now assured of staying with San Diego for the rest of the season.
After a breakthrough season in 2012 in which Headley finished fifth in the National League MVP balloting, he is batting just .240/.331/.368 with eight home runs and 36 RBI in 117 games this season. Heyman writes that the Padres are expected to attempt to sign the 29-year-old to a contract extension this winter, but it’s possible they could field trade offers if no progress is made. It could be an interesting dynamic, as Headley might not be willing to sign after a down year while the Padres could be selling low in a trade.
Headley is due a raise in arbitration this winter after making $8.575 million this season. He is due to hit the free agent market after 2014.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)