Aug 29, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The biggest takeaway from this article is that it was awful cool of Roy Halladay to take the time to give Matt Harvey a pep talk about his recent injury. About having one of the greatest of his generation tell a kid not to worry, buck up and everything will be OK. That’s class, right there.
But two small takeaways:
- If Roy Halladay were a character in a disaster movie, it is 100% certain he would be the steely-eyed old timer who told the heroes that there was no hope, all is doomed and that they had best just prepare for their deaths like he has, calmly, and with a cool resolve. He’s not a worrier, he’s just seen it all and is realistic and he doesn’t have time for your damn fool optimism; and
- I hope Halladay’s pep talk left out the part about how, after surgery, it’s possible that your once-dominant fastball may find itself struggling to reach the high 80s.
I mean, not trying to be a downer, but injuries can suck, man.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 32
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 35
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 84
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 89
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (103)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)