Aug 29, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The biggest takeaway from this article is that it was awful cool of Roy Halladay to take the time to give Matt Harvey a pep talk about his recent injury. About having one of the greatest of his generation tell a kid not to worry, buck up and everything will be OK. That’s class, right there.
But two small takeaways:
- If Roy Halladay were a character in a disaster movie, it is 100% certain he would be the steely-eyed old timer who told the heroes that there was no hope, all is doomed and that they had best just prepare for their deaths like he has, calmly, and with a cool resolve. He’s not a worrier, he’s just seen it all and is realistic and he doesn’t have time for your damn fool optimism; and
- I hope Halladay’s pep talk left out the part about how, after surgery, it’s possible that your once-dominant fastball may find itself struggling to reach the high 80s.
I mean, not trying to be a downer, but injuries can suck, man.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)