Aug 29, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The biggest takeaway from this article is that it was awful cool of Roy Halladay to take the time to give Matt Harvey a pep talk about his recent injury. About having one of the greatest of his generation tell a kid not to worry, buck up and everything will be OK. That’s class, right there.
But two small takeaways:
- If Roy Halladay were a character in a disaster movie, it is 100% certain he would be the steely-eyed old timer who told the heroes that there was no hope, all is doomed and that they had best just prepare for their deaths like he has, calmly, and with a cool resolve. He’s not a worrier, he’s just seen it all and is realistic and he doesn’t have time for your damn fool optimism; and
- I hope Halladay’s pep talk left out the part about how, after surgery, it’s possible that your once-dominant fastball may find itself struggling to reach the high 80s.
I mean, not trying to be a downer, but injuries can suck, man.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (127)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)