Aug 29, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
The biggest takeaway from this article is that it was awful cool of Roy Halladay to take the time to give Matt Harvey a pep talk about his recent injury. About having one of the greatest of his generation tell a kid not to worry, buck up and everything will be OK. That’s class, right there.
But two small takeaways:
- If Roy Halladay were a character in a disaster movie, it is 100% certain he would be the steely-eyed old timer who told the heroes that there was no hope, all is doomed and that they had best just prepare for their deaths like he has, calmly, and with a cool resolve. He’s not a worrier, he’s just seen it all and is realistic and he doesn’t have time for your damn fool optimism; and
- I hope Halladay’s pep talk left out the part about how, after surgery, it’s possible that your once-dominant fastball may find itself struggling to reach the high 80s.
I mean, not trying to be a downer, but injuries can suck, man.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 0
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)