Aug 29, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
The biggest takeaway from this article is that it was awful cool of Roy Halladay to take the time to give Matt Harvey a pep talk about his recent injury. About having one of the greatest of his generation tell a kid not to worry, buck up and everything will be OK. That’s class, right there.
But two small takeaways:
- If Roy Halladay were a character in a disaster movie, it is 100% certain he would be the steely-eyed old timer who told the heroes that there was no hope, all is doomed and that they had best just prepare for their deaths like he has, calmly, and with a cool resolve. He’s not a worrier, he’s just seen it all and is realistic and he doesn’t have time for your damn fool optimism; and
- I hope Halladay’s pep talk left out the part about how, after surgery, it’s possible that your once-dominant fastball may find itself struggling to reach the high 80s.
I mean, not trying to be a downer, but injuries can suck, man.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (220)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)