Aug 29, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Actually, by Biz of Baseball’s Maury Brown who frequently writes for Forbes. Today he totally eviscerates the story Forbes ran three days ago claiming that the Astros were the most profitable team in baseball this year and may be the most profitable ever. It’s a real work of art, so go read it and get hipped to a lot of the ins-and-outs of baseball finance that is oh-so-often overlooked in most reporting on such matters.
And while we’re at it: unless you see actual audited and certified books laid out by a team, don’t believe most of what they say about their own finances either. Most teams are run like family owned muffler shops. They don’t have to show their books to anyone and don’t and even when they talk about it, there is all kinds of silliness going on that distorts the real economic picture.
In other news, some advice to Forbes: have Maury write about baseball finances more, other people less.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)