Aug 29, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez went to visit Dr. James Andrews and the Pirates left-hander actually got some good news, as the noted surgeon agreed with the initial diagnosis of forearm inflammation.
That means he won’t need surgery, although Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette writes that Rodriguez’s chances of pitching again this season are “still a big if.” For now he’ll start a throwing program soon and try to squeeze in a rehab assignment before the minor-league season ends.
Rodriguez going down has played a big part in the Pirates’ rotation struggling of late. Before the injury he started 12 games with a 3.59 ERA and Rodriguez has a 3.66 ERA in 138 innings since Pittsburgh acquired him from Houston in the middle of last year.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)