Aug 29, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez went to visit Dr. James Andrews and the Pirates left-hander actually got some good news, as the noted surgeon agreed with the initial diagnosis of forearm inflammation.
That means he won’t need surgery, although Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette writes that Rodriguez’s chances of pitching again this season are “still a big if.” For now he’ll start a throwing program soon and try to squeeze in a rehab assignment before the minor-league season ends.
Rodriguez going down has played a big part in the Pirates’ rotation struggling of late. Before the injury he started 12 games with a 3.59 ERA and Rodriguez has a 3.66 ERA in 138 innings since Pittsburgh acquired him from Houston in the middle of last year.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 3
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)