Aug 29, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez went to visit Dr. James Andrews and the Pirates left-hander actually got some good news, as the noted surgeon agreed with the initial diagnosis of forearm inflammation.
That means he won’t need surgery, although Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette writes that Rodriguez’s chances of pitching again this season are “still a big if.” For now he’ll start a throwing program soon and try to squeeze in a rehab assignment before the minor-league season ends.
Rodriguez going down has played a big part in the Pirates’ rotation struggling of late. Before the injury he started 12 games with a 3.59 ERA and Rodriguez has a 3.66 ERA in 138 innings since Pittsburgh acquired him from Houston in the middle of last year.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 0
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)