Aug 30, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
It seems like eons ago that David Wright was getting a standing ovation at the All-Star Game at Citi Field and was putting together an MVP-caliber season. But it was less than a month ago when he pulled his hamstring effectively ending his season. Or maybe not quite ending it, as the Star-Ledger reports that he’s about to go off on a rehab assignment in Florida.
He could still get a couple of big league games in at the end of September, but I don’t know what it would accomplish. When the Mets signed him to that extension it was for the long haul. The long haul play here seems to be to exercise caution with their superstar.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)