Francisco Liriano pitches a gem, blanks Cardinals over eight innings

Aug 30, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT

Francisco Liriano Getty Images

Francisco Liriano was down on his luck when the Pirates signed him to a one-year, $1 million deal in February. He was coming off a year in which he posted a combined 5.34 ERA with the Twins and White Sox, the third time in four seasons he had posted an ERA in the fives.

Liriano made his season debut with the Pirates on May 11 and has looked like the ace many envisioned him becoming back in 2006 when he finished third in AL Rookie of the Year balloting. That continued tonight in an important game against the division rival Cardinals, entering the night with a tenuous one-game lead over the second-place Pirates. First baseman Garrett Jones gave his pitcher a ton of support, going 3-for-4 with a homer and four RBI, but just his two-run double in the first inning would have sufficed as Liriano was dominant from the outset.

Liriano tossed eight shutout innings, allowing just two hits and two walks while striking out six. The Cardinals never once had a runner in scoring position against Liriano. Mark Melancon danced around a pair of base runners in the ninth to nail down the 5-0 victory. The 78-56 Cardinals and Pirates enter into a first place tie atop the NL Central. The two clubs have five more games against each other through the remainder of the regular season.

1. Stiller43 - Aug 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Buccos baby!!

• hollymchisolm - Aug 31, 2013 at 2:56 AM

my friend’s aunt makes $70 hourly on the laptop. She has been fired from work for 7 months but last month her pay was $12805 just working on the laptop for a few hours. read more… http://xurl.es/fi5e4

• jhorton83 - Aug 31, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Holy shit, that’s fucking awesome. I totally believe a bot comment with those kind of credentials. I will be transferring over my life savings for a spot on this pyramid scheme where I can one day also spam message boards with your same spinned bullshit to make money for those that originated the scheme.

2. ashtongronholz8 - Aug 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM

As a twins fan I’m still sour

3. bigx21 - Aug 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Great pick up for me in fantasy baseball. Never doubt him since he joined the Pirates!!

4. theageofquarrel - Aug 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM

CLEAR THE DECK AND RAISE THE JOLLY ROGAH!!!!!!

• jimeejohnson - Aug 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM

You like beer, I like beer, he likes, she likes, we like, beer!

5. kathrynedwards643 - Aug 31, 2013 at 3:09 AM

we are Inviting everyone to join our dynamic team..working online is getting famous nowadays. data entry specialist needed..earn upto $50/hour. visit our site..U.S and U.K residents
    are prioritized “~ WW­W.ℬAℛ17.Ⅽ­OⅯ

6. earpaniac - Aug 31, 2013 at 9:12 AM

He just needed to get healthy finally. The skill has always been there.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4004)