Aug 30, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal reports that the deal is official:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 30, 2013
11:53 PM Thursday: After being designated for assignment by the Diamondbacks earlier this week, Jason Kubel should be on the move soon. Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are “getting close” to finding a trade partner while the Indians are considered a “strong possibility.” This confirms a report by Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish.
Kubel amassed 30 home runs last year, but he has batted just .220/.288/.324 with five home runs in 267 plate appearances this season while battling leg and back problems. The 31-year-old has mostly been limited to pinch-hitting duties over the past couple of weeks.
Kubel has never been known for his defense, so he was a poor fit for the National League, but he could be a useful addition for a team who can slot him in at DH. His contract includes a $1 million buyout on his $7.5 million club option for next season, so the Diamondbacks will likely have to cover it in order to pull off a deal.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)