Aug 30, 2013, 9:28 AM EDT
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal reports that the deal is official:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 30, 2013
11:53 PM Thursday: After being designated for assignment by the Diamondbacks earlier this week, Jason Kubel should be on the move soon. Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are “getting close” to finding a trade partner while the Indians are considered a “strong possibility.” This confirms a report by Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish.
Kubel amassed 30 home runs last year, but he has batted just .220/.288/.324 with five home runs in 267 plate appearances this season while battling leg and back problems. The 31-year-old has mostly been limited to pinch-hitting duties over the past couple of weeks.
Kubel has never been known for his defense, so he was a poor fit for the National League, but he could be a useful addition for a team who can slot him in at DH. His contract includes a $1 million buyout on his $7.5 million club option for next season, so the Diamondbacks will likely have to cover it in order to pull off a deal.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)