Aug 30, 2013, 9:28 AM EST
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal reports that the deal is official:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 30, 2013
11:53 PM Thursday: After being designated for assignment by the Diamondbacks earlier this week, Jason Kubel should be on the move soon. Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are “getting close” to finding a trade partner while the Indians are considered a “strong possibility.” This confirms a report by Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish.
Kubel amassed 30 home runs last year, but he has batted just .220/.288/.324 with five home runs in 267 plate appearances this season while battling leg and back problems. The 31-year-old has mostly been limited to pinch-hitting duties over the past couple of weeks.
Kubel has never been known for his defense, so he was a poor fit for the National League, but he could be a useful addition for a team who can slot him in at DH. His contract includes a $1 million buyout on his $7.5 million club option for next season, so the Diamondbacks will likely have to cover it in order to pull off a deal.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)