Aug 30, 2013, 1:34 AM EDT
Red Sox color commentator Jerry Remy, who has been out of the booth since his son, Jared, was accused of the murder of his girlfriend, won’t return this season, it was announced after Thursday’s game.
Jared Remy pleaded not guilty Aug. 16 to the murder of girlfriend Jennifer Martel.
“I am full of grief for the Martel family,” Jerry Remy said in a statement. “My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to them. My wife and I are sick about this senseless tragedy. It’s clear this isn’t the time for me to return to broadcasting Red Sox games. It’s my hope that I can do so in the spring. I thank NESN and the Red Sox for their support through this nightmare.”
One imagines Remy will have a place in the Red Sox booth for as long as he wants it, and at 60, he’s far from too old to do the job. However, he’s put in full seasons in just two of the last five years. He sat out most of 2009 after complications arising from cancer surgery, and in 2012, he dealt with depression and took a leave of absence. It’s possible he could call it a career this winter or at least scale back his workload significantly.
With Remy out in recent weeks, NESN and the Red Sox been using Dennis Eckersley for color commentary, though that’s been getting them a whole lot more color than commentary. They’ll surely need to do better if Remy steps away, and it wouldn’t hurt to audition a few candidates now. Gabe Kapler maybe?
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)