Jerry Remy to remain out of BoSox booth for rest of year

Aug 30, 2013, 1:34 AM EST

Jerry Remy AP

Red Sox color commentator Jerry Remy, who has been out of the booth since his son, Jared, was accused of the murder of his girlfriend, won’t return this season, it was announced after Thursday’s game.

Jared Remy pleaded not guilty Aug. 16 to the murder of girlfriend Jennifer Martel.

“I am full of grief for the Martel family,” Jerry Remy said in a statement.  “My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to them.  My wife and I are sick about this senseless tragedy.  It’s clear this isn’t the time for me to return to broadcasting Red Sox games.  It’s my hope that I can do so in the spring.  I thank NESN and the Red Sox for their support through this nightmare.”

One imagines Remy will have a place in the Red Sox booth for as long as he wants it, and at 60, he’s far from too old to do the job. However, he’s put in full seasons in just two of the last five years. He sat out most of 2009 after complications arising from cancer surgery, and in 2012, he dealt with depression and took a leave of absence. It’s possible he could call it a career this winter or at least scale back his workload significantly.

With Remy out in recent weeks, NESN and the Red Sox been using Dennis Eckersley for color commentary, though that’s been getting them a whole lot more color than commentary. They’ll surely need to do better if Remy steps away, and it wouldn’t hurt to audition a few candidates now. Gabe Kapler maybe?

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 30, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Orsillo is great. Eck is painful. Jerry Remy makes a Sox broadcast worth listening to.

Best wishes to Jerry. He had dealt with more than enough shit before this most recent news broke. Wherever he decides to go from here I hope it works out as well as possible.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 30, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I kinda like Eck. He comments WAAAAY too much from the pitcher’s perspective (no surprise there) but he’s very knowledgeable.

He actually provides more real “in the know” baseball context than Remy does.
      He’s egotistical and looks like he should be at a Studio 54 revival party, but he’s not bad.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM

This is true. He’s definitely far from being the worst guy in an MLB broadcast booth. I did like him when he was filling in once in a while, but hearing him all the time just sort of gets tiresome.

2. baseballisboring - Aug 30, 2013 at 4:32 AM

I’ll miss him if he leaves :(

3. hoopmatch - Aug 30, 2013 at 5:58 AM

I heard Rob Dibble is available.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM

As is Jack Clark.

• jrbdmb - Aug 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Curt Schilling.

4. seanb20124 - Aug 30, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Sad situation, but someone like he or other family members should have been more proactive in stopping the son’s drug use

• cohnjusack - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Amazing how much you know about their relationship with their son and actions(or not) they took to prevent his drug use? I’m guessing you’re close to them or something, otherwise you wouldn’t make such outlandish assumptions about what they did or didn’t do.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 30, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Not to mention, Jerry Remy could have been extremely involved and proactive about helping his son, but a drug addict can only truly turn the corner when they themself make the conscious choice to turn away from drug use.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Yeah…sad situation Sean. So is your comment.
      So much so, I am still shaking my head at it.
      Hard to fathom someone posting something like that.

• jbarbas66 - Aug 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I have 5 grown children, I have little say on how they live their lives. Your comment is ignorant. they can only help if their help is welcomed. You might as paint the whole situation white and ask where was her family? Likely in both situations that both families were trying the best they could, but only knew what Ms. Martel and Mr. Remy wanted them to know

5. drelms - Aug 30, 2013 at 7:09 AM

To the Martel and Remy families my best wishes. Such a terrible tragedy my heart goes out to both of you.

To Jerry, I say keep a stiff upper lip my friend, not many people have gone through the pain and anguish that you have sir. I can only hope that you have enough happiness from the years you have been blessed to be here, to take you through these clouds of darkness.

They say that whatever does not kill you makes you stronger, so I hope to see you and Orsillo back in the booth together next Spring. I normally look forward to the start of Florida baseball, but I know next Spring it’s going to be more about seeing you two back together enjoying so much what you do better than any other couple of guys that I could ever imagine.

6. hojo20 - Aug 30, 2013 at 7:51 AM

The Remy family is a mess. The other two children:

From 2010: Jordan J. Remy, a son of Red Sox Hall of Fame second baseman Jerry Remy, was arrested in South Boston this morning on indecent assault and battery charges

From 2013: Jenna Remy kicked a Somerville police officer once in the buttocks and twice in the groin during an arrest on July 25, according to allegations in a Somerville police report.

7. aceshigh11 - Aug 30, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Condolences to the Martel family.

Hope Jerry can return soon…his rapport with Orsillo is priceless.

8. shaggylocks - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Sad news all around. At least we still have the great radio team of Joe Castiglione and Dave O’Brien.

9. walterwhite1976 - Aug 30, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Jerry, we miss you and take as much time as needed. Horrible tragedy. Personally, I like all three announcers and what they bring to the table. Eck and Remy are both great in their own way.

10. Old Gator - Aug 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM

My heart really goes out to this guy. He must wake up feeling like King Lear every morning. Cancer, loser kids – he probably knows in his guts how Job must have felt.

11. pastabelly - Aug 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Eckersley is very good and more engaged in the game than Remy.

12. bobwsc - Aug 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM

where is the Kapler suggestion coming from? is this wishful thinking tied to the shirtless photo that accompanied a recent post about him Greg, or actual insider info?

13. redneckrhody - Aug 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Remy is one of the best. If not the best. I find it hard to watch a game without him – its just not the same. I am just one of the millions who view NESN Red Sox games who is going to sorely miss him. I hope he comes back. Dear Remy, while i know how much support and love you have from Red Sox Nation will never take away your deep pain and grief, please know this, there is absolutly nothing you could have done. Sometimes people commit haeneous acts of violence – period. There is nothing we can do about it. My deepest sympathies go out to the Martel family and most of all that sweet child.
    Be strong Jerry, Boston needs you.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester