Aug 30, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s plan for Matt Moore was to have him make a minor-league rehab start last night at Triple-A and then come off the disabled list to rejoin the rotation Tuesday after a month on the sidelines with an elbow injury.
That may still be the plan, but Moore allowed four runs on eight hits in four innings for Durham last night, striking out two and walking two.
However, the good news according to Eric Single of MLB.com is that Moore reached 95-96 miles per hour with his fastball and the 23-year-old All-Star didn’t seem worried about his tune-up performance. Before the injury Moore was 14-3 with a 3.41 ERA and 115 strikeouts in 121 innings, so the Rays’ chances of making the playoffs and making a deep postseason run depend an awful lot on the health of his left elbow.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)