Aug 30, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera left Thursday’s game with “abdominal discomfort” but felt good enough tonight to make the start at the hot corner against the Indians. Unfortunately, he was only able to go two innings tonight due to abdominal irritation, striking out in his only plate appearance. Andy Dirks took over at third base.
Miguel Cabrera has “irritation in his abdominal area,” the team says. He is day to day.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) August 30, 2013
Cabrera is once again the front runner in the AL MVP debate, ahead of Mike Trout and Chris Davis. He leads the league in batting average and RBI, and trails Davis in home runs by four as he attempts to take home a second consecutive Triple Crown.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)