Miguel Cabrera exits after two innings with abdominal irritation

Aug 30, 2013, 8:05 PM EST

Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera left Thursday’s game with “abdominal discomfort” but felt good enough tonight to make the start at the hot corner against the Indians. Unfortunately, he was only able to go two innings tonight due to abdominal irritation, striking out in his only plate appearance. Andy Dirks took over at third base.

Cabrera is once again the front runner in the AL MVP debate, ahead of Mike Trout and Chris Davis. He leads the league in batting average and RBI, and trails Davis in home runs by four as he attempts to take home a second consecutive Triple Crown.

1. historiophiliac - Aug 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM

And apparently Crush went boom. :(

You could see Miggy grimace as he swung. He kind of half-ass hacked at the rest of them to strike out. Take a day or two off, dude.

• hollymchisolm - Aug 31, 2013 at 2:53 AM

my roomate’s mother-in-law makes $83 hourly on the laptop. She has been without a job for 8 months but last month her payment was $15518 just working on the laptop for a few hours. visit their website… http://xurl.es/dk14e

• kathrynedwards643 - Aug 31, 2013 at 3:05 AM

we are Inviting everyone to join our dynamic team..working online is getting famous nowadays. data entry specialist needed..earn upto $50/hour. visit our site..U.S and U.K residents are prioritized “~ http://➡.ws/earnonline

2. randygnyc - Aug 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I don’t care for Miggy, but I can appreciate his talent and respect his efforts on the field. As good as he is, it would be a shame if a nagging injury kept him from competing for another triple crown. I don’t care if he does it, but I sure want to see him try. That’s what MLBTV is for

3. disgracedfury - Aug 30, 2013 at 8:45 PM

He is playing in vain for that triple crown. Even if it cost his team season if he really gets hurt.

• historiophiliac - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM

This drives me crazy. He isn’t playing for the triple crown. He just likes to play. Look at his history. Since he came to Detroit in 2008, he’s only once played less than 160 games a season. He’s a workhorse. This is how he always is. He played a lot of games in Florida too. He doesn’t like time off.

4. hammyofdoom - Aug 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM

It’s amazing that Cabrera is still playing right now; I dont see him play often since I’m a Red Sox fan, but seeing him TRY to leg out a double was painful. However, it’s the managers job to see a guy who is this banged up and make him sit a day or two for the player, and the team’s well-being.

I mean yeah, the Triple Crown is a fun thing, but with the Tigers leading their division wouldn’t it be best to rest the guy and hope that he can be healthier for the playoff stretch?

5. heyblueyoustink - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I wonder, with all the aches and pains he’s been playing through, if there’s not some kind of pain killer side effects or withdrawal at work here. He does have a couple of signs of abuse tendency in his past.

Not an accusation, and nothing I would hope for, just a fleeting thought.

• historiophiliac - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Booo!!!!

/throws peanuts

• aceshigh11 - Aug 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM

It’s official:

Miguel Cabrera = vicodin addict

heyblue said so.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I tread lightly, but, it would explain ab pain, I can attest to that first hand. And it could very well not be the case either. Was just wondering out loud.

/ picks up peanuts, throws them at a total stranger.

6. tigers182 - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM

He never likes being taken out the game, even without the triple crown in his sights.

He’s one of the best hitters ever and still goes 100% all the time. Truly humble player.

7. sfbookreviews - Aug 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I really can’t understand what they’re thinking up there. Screw the triple crown. Screw the man’s pride. Sit him down for a few days and let the man heal so he’s 100% come playoff time. This is ridiculous. I live in an NL city, but it seems every single day I see a story about Cabrera leaving the game. Sit him down, Jim, you’re smarter than this.

8. Minoring In Baseball - Aug 31, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I agree, Detroit needs to sit him out a game or until he’s healthy. If he goes down for the season, any World Series hopes go down with him most likely.

9. suicidalionsfan - Aug 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Dirks went in to play right field ( not 3rd ) and Kelly moved to third .

Miggy to DH

Kelly/Santiago platoon @ 3rd

VMart to catcher

Avila to BENCH

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5056)