Aug 30, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
Baltimore wasn’t able to come to an agreement with Minnesota for Josh Willingham, but the Orioles have added a right-handed power hitter in acquiring Michael Morse from Seattle for Triple-A outfielder Xavier Avery.
Morse, unlike Willingham, is an impending free agent, so the Mariners were perfectly willing to let him go following a very disappointing season. He got off to a big start in April, but Morse is batting just .214 with four homers and a .613 OPS in his last 50 games and also missed five weeks with a quadriceps injury.
When he’s playing well Morse provides very good power from the right side, but he’s a brutal defensive outfielder and has a measly .305 on-base percentage with an ugly 177/36 K/BB ratio in 178 games since the beginning of last season. Of course, the Orioles will probably use him mostly at designated hitter, where his defense wouldn’t be an issue, and their DHs have hit a combined .217 with a .672 OPS this season.
Avery is a speedy, light-hitting 23-year-old who projects as a backup outfielder, so for a cheap one-month pickup Morse makes some sense for Baltimore.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)