Aug 30, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Shortly after adding a right-handed bat in Michael Morse the Orioles have added a left-handed bat in Dan Johnson, signing the veteran first baseman to a minor-league deal after he opted out of a deal with the Yankees.
Johnson has spent all season playing at Triple-A for the Yankees, hitting .253 with 21 homers and an .826 OPS in 133 games. Morse’s arrival hurts Johnson’s odds of being more than a pinch-hitter down the stretch, but he’s certainly provided some memorable late-season memories in a limited role before.
Against the Yankees, in fact.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 3
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 180
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (180)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)