Aug 30, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Baseball America rated pitcher Taijuan Walker the #18 overall prospect going into the season, putting a lot of expectations on the 21-year-old entering his fourth year of professional baseball. He pitched well enough with Double-A Jackson, though, to warrant a mid-season promotion to Triple-A Tacoma. There, he averaged better than a strikeout per inning and posted a 3.61 ERA over 57.1 innings.
The Mariners promoted him and scheduled him to make his Major League debut tonight against the lowly Astros, giving fans a brief glimpse into the future. Though Walker didn’t have his swing-and-miss stuff going — just six of his 70 pitches were swung at and missed — he allowed just one unearned run on two hits and one walk over five innings. He was pulled before the sixth in favor of Carter Capps.
The Mariner offense gave Walker five runs of support: they scored twice in the fourth on an RBI single by Dustin Ackley and an RBI ground out by Abraham Almonte (also making his MLB debut), and three times in the fifth on an RBI single by Kyle Seager and a two-run single by Ackley.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” ligament 4
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 124
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (124)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)