Aug 30, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Baseball America rated pitcher Taijuan Walker the #18 overall prospect going into the season, putting a lot of expectations on the 21-year-old entering his fourth year of professional baseball. He pitched well enough with Double-A Jackson, though, to warrant a mid-season promotion to Triple-A Tacoma. There, he averaged better than a strikeout per inning and posted a 3.61 ERA over 57.1 innings.
The Mariners promoted him and scheduled him to make his Major League debut tonight against the lowly Astros, giving fans a brief glimpse into the future. Though Walker didn’t have his swing-and-miss stuff going — just six of his 70 pitches were swung at and missed — he allowed just one unearned run on two hits and one walk over five innings. He was pulled before the sixth in favor of Carter Capps.
The Mariner offense gave Walker five runs of support: they scored twice in the fourth on an RBI single by Dustin Ackley and an RBI ground out by Abraham Almonte (also making his MLB debut), and three times in the fifth on an RBI single by Kyle Seager and a two-run single by Ackley.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)