Aug 30, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Baseball America rated pitcher Taijuan Walker the #18 overall prospect going into the season, putting a lot of expectations on the 21-year-old entering his fourth year of professional baseball. He pitched well enough with Double-A Jackson, though, to warrant a mid-season promotion to Triple-A Tacoma. There, he averaged better than a strikeout per inning and posted a 3.61 ERA over 57.1 innings.
The Mariners promoted him and scheduled him to make his Major League debut tonight against the lowly Astros, giving fans a brief glimpse into the future. Though Walker didn’t have his swing-and-miss stuff going — just six of his 70 pitches were swung at and missed — he allowed just one unearned run on two hits and one walk over five innings. He was pulled before the sixth in favor of Carter Capps.
The Mariner offense gave Walker five runs of support: they scored twice in the fourth on an RBI single by Dustin Ackley and an RBI ground out by Abraham Almonte (also making his MLB debut), and three times in the fifth on an RBI single by Kyle Seager and a two-run single by Ackley.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 16
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 73
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)