Aug 30, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
The Indians traded for Jason Kubel. From one depth move to another, they just announced that they signed Kelly Shoppach to a minor league deal. He’ll report to Triple-A.
Shoppach, who is 33, played for the Indians between 2006 and 2009. He started this year with the Seattle Mariners where he didn’t hit. The M’s released on June 20, after which the Nats picked him up and stashed him in Syracuse. They released him and he’s recently been with the Pirates organization but requested his release on August 28. Not surprisingly, this coincided with the Pirates trading for John Buck, effectively eliminating any chance Shoppach had to make the big club in September.
Now on to Cleveland. Or, rather, Columbus.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)