Aug 30, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
The Indians traded for Jason Kubel. From one depth move to another, they just announced that they signed Kelly Shoppach to a minor league deal. He’ll report to Triple-A.
Shoppach, who is 33, played for the Indians between 2006 and 2009. He started this year with the Seattle Mariners where he didn’t hit. The M’s released on June 20, after which the Nats picked him up and stashed him in Syracuse. They released him and he’s recently been with the Pirates organization but requested his release on August 28. Not surprisingly, this coincided with the Pirates trading for John Buck, effectively eliminating any chance Shoppach had to make the big club in September.
Now on to Cleveland. Or, rather, Columbus.
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 5
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 42
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 10
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)