Aug 30, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
The Indians traded for Jason Kubel. From one depth move to another, they just announced that they signed Kelly Shoppach to a minor league deal. He’ll report to Triple-A.
Shoppach, who is 33, played for the Indians between 2006 and 2009. He started this year with the Seattle Mariners where he didn’t hit. The M’s released on June 20, after which the Nats picked him up and stashed him in Syracuse. They released him and he’s recently been with the Pirates organization but requested his release on August 28. Not surprisingly, this coincided with the Pirates trading for John Buck, effectively eliminating any chance Shoppach had to make the big club in September.
Now on to Cleveland. Or, rather, Columbus.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (116)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)