The Reds will call up Billy Hamilton on Monday

Aug 30, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds Photo Day Getty Images

John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting that the Reds will be promoting outfield prospect Billy Hamilton from Triple-A Louisville on Monday after rosters have expanded.

Hamilton was rated the #20 overall prospect by Baseball America going into the season. In 356 trips to the plate, he has hit just .256 with a .308 on-base percentage, but he has also stolen 75 bases in 90 attempts.

Hamilton has the chance to make an impact on the Reds’ post-season chances as they are 3.5 games out of first place in the NL Central and lead the second Wild Card by six games. The Reds lack a legitimate base-stealing threat as Shin-Soo Choo leads the team with 16 steals, but he has also been caught 10 times.

1. contraryguy - Aug 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM

The Reds baserunning has been abysmal this year. Fresh legs on the bases can’t hurt.

• hollymchisolm - Aug 31, 2013 at 2:59 AM

my best friend’s aunt makes $68 every hour on the laptop. She has been out of a job for seven months but last month her payment was $18417 just working on the laptop for a few hours. this… http://xurl.es/hay9e

• junglerat524 - Aug 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM

My neighbors daughter makes $250 an hour on laptops too. Of course when you leave you are covered in glitter.

• kathrynedwards643 - Aug 31, 2013 at 3:13 AM

we are Inviting everyone to join our dynamic team..working online is getting famous nowadays. data entry specialist needed..earn upto $50/hour. visit our site..U.S and U.K residents are prioritized “~ WW­W.ℬAℛ17.Ⅽ­OⅯ

• junglerat524 - Aug 31, 2013 at 8:02 PM

If I wanted to get famous on the internet & make tons of $ I’d post the video of your mom and me in your parents bed. You were sleeping (I hope).

2. okwhitefalcon - Aug 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Countdown til Votto not driving him in starts around the 8th inning Monday night.

3. sheriffpeyton18 - Aug 30, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Billy will bring a youthful spirit. I had a chance to see him play in the Arizona Fall League and he was (will be) exciting to watch!

• okwhitefalcon - Aug 30, 2013 at 7:29 PM

He’s a fun guy to watch, will definitely being a additional weapon to the Reds.

Late innings against the Cards and Molina next week could be exciting for fans of both teams.

4. docboss - Aug 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Reds are still the best team in the Central, but I think ‘Cards will win. Experience, attitude, and managing count for much. Molina is the secret weapon for ‘Cards. Pirates could win it all next year.

5. dondada10 - Aug 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Back when pitching staffs were only 11 rosters usually carried a Billy Hamilton type.

6. thomas844 - Aug 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I’m not too concerned about his mediocre slash line because he has been hitting well as of late after a bad start. He could be a great spark for the Reds as they fight for the division. Speed definitely makes more of a difference in a game than a lot of people think, like hitting a routine ground ball but the fielder makes an error because he is pressured to make a quick throw. I’m excited to see what Billy can do.

7. Walk - Aug 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I am looking forward to see Hamilton play in the coming years. Rickey henderson and vince coleman were both among my idols as I grew up. I loved the way they played and everything I hear about Hamilton is reminding me of them.

8. ramblingalb - Aug 31, 2013 at 1:07 AM

The Brewers used a guy named Mel Stocker just to PR in September years ago, and the Red Sox utilized Joey Gathright in this manner too. I assume Hamilton will pretty much just run too, as he’s not going to get many PA’s over Choo. Those guys can steal some vital runs, as they often run versus closers, they make it about 90% of the time.

9. junglerat524 - Aug 31, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Hamilton still has a lot of work to do before I would even go into next year saying he’s the CF of the future. He needs to talk to Votto while he’s up here about learning to take a walk. His steals from last year and this year dropped by 80 as of this post. AA to AAA is a big step if you are pressured to be fast tracked. This year he snatched 75 and got nailed only 15. Not shabby. Came on in the second half.

He’s up here to learn & maybe run some & sub on blowouts. But his main job is to observe & understand what he’s in for next year if they decide he’s the guy.

10. stlouis1baseball - Sep 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Hamilton is an exciting player to be sure. He needs to work on his plate discipline while becoming a better hitter. I expect him to do so and become a regular in the next year or two. The more AB’s he gets…the better.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet