Tony La Russa and Yasiel Puig played ping pong

Aug 30, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

I imagine there’s context to this and a reason for it and everything, but I feel like this pic of Tony La Russa and Yasiel Puig playing ping pong should sort of stand on its own:

My invented context: our nation’s hand-wringing sportswriters banded together and called La Russa in to give Puig an intervention about how to do things The Right Way. This was a little break in between sessions on various unwritten rules and such.

1. dodger88 - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Clayton Kershaw organized a ping pong fundraiser; apparently after baseball it is his favourite activity and he is quite good.

• NatsLady - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM

OK, maybe Kershaw won’t blow out his shoulder.

Good for him on the charity thing. Seems like he does a lot.

• dodger88 - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Some pics http://www.sonsofstevegarvey.com/2013/08/ping-pong-action-part-1.html

2. NatsLady - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM

You watch. Some pitcher will blow out his shoulder playing Ping-Pong and that will be the end of that.

3. deathmonkey41 - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM

It’s still better than the Blue Jays playing with their Wang, Johnson, or Dickey.

4. unclemosesgreen - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I’m going to link this to yesterday’s post about wishing the internet had existed in 1925 or some such thing. I’m imagining a picture of Babe Ruth drinking a beer and smoking a cigar with a lady sitting on each knee and a destroyed platter of pig-knuckles on the table next to him. Partying on the road – The Right Way.

5. paperlions - Aug 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I realize that LaRussa is showing of WS rings in that picture (not the ping pong one), but it looks like he’s trying to demonstrate how to ride a horse to his grandchild.

6. mentalotherhalf - Aug 30, 2013 at 5:43 PM

The table tennis pro at this event works an office job with me, as well. She reports that the event seemed to be a big success and that all present seemed to have a lot of fun. Kershaw is the staff ace of ping pong, too, apparently. Kershaw defeated both Puig and La Russa, with authority. Also a serious ping pong gamer: Brian Wilson.

• coloradogolfcoupons - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM

What about Ryu? I had read somewhere he was MLB’s best ping pong player.

1. H. Pence (2145)