With a triple into the Wrigley Field ivy, Chase Utley turned one ball into two

Aug 30, 2013, 9:45 PM EST

Chase Utley AP

Here’s something you don’t see every day. The Phillies trailed the Cubs 5-1 in the top of the sixth inning, but were threatening with runners on first and second and Chase Utley at the dish against starter Jeff Samardzija. Utley laced a line drive into right-center, scoring both runners on a triple. That wasn’t the most interesting part, though.

Upon close examination, the ball Utley hit into the gap knocked another long-lost baseball out of the ivy, closer to center fielder Junior Lake. Lake was not confused by the odd occurrence, however, reaching for the ball further away and getting it back into the infield as quickly as he could.

Utley’s two-run triple was part of a four-run rally in the sixth and the Phillies eventually went on to win 6-5 in Ryne Sandberg’s return to Wrigley Field as a newly-minted manager.

1. sabatimus - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I bet one day they find Andre Dawson in there.

• hollymchisolm - Aug 31, 2013 at 2:57 AM

my friend’s aunt makes $70 hourly on the laptop. She has been fired from work for 7 months but last month her pay was $12805 just working on the laptop for a few hours. read more… http://xurl.es/fi5e4

• kathrynedwards643 - Aug 31, 2013 at 3:11 AM

we are Inviting everyone to join our dynamic team..working online is getting famous nowadays. data entry specialist needed..earn upto $50/hour. visit our site..U.S and U.K residents are prioritized “~ WW­W.ℬAℛ17.Ⅽ­OⅯ

• yunkerimages - Aug 31, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Your friends Aunt? Are you not smart enough to make $70 hourly on the laptop? Does “the laptop” mean she has to use yours, or does she have her own? It’s unfortunate that some people will believe your BS and click on your link. How about posting your propaganda on some other board, blog, post office wall or jail cell and get your sorry A$$ off of sports blogs you idiot!

This applies to both Holly and Kathryn…get lost!

• bbk1000 - Aug 31, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I have seen this response elsewhere…..

——————————————————-
      Joe Colosimo

surprised that we didn’t see Andre Dawson fall out of there!

Reply · 1 ·

· 7 hours ago

2. mudhead123 - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Odd occurrence? New to baseball I assume. I don’t even follow the cubs and have seen this 4-5 times

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Calling the bluff: accounts of the 4-5 games or it didn’t happen

• Bryz - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I have seen it before, so he (she?) is not bluffing. However, I cannot confirm it being 4-5 times, and I can’t procure any videos either.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM

The number of times was what I was calling – especially to a self described non-follower.

3. e5again - Aug 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM

What is the ruling if lake plays the wrong ball?

• sfbookreviews - Aug 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I *think* it would simply be the umpire’s discretion as to where the runners would be had the original ball been played. So most likely the same results.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I looked, and can no find a rule at all that adresses this. Howevere, IMO, the ball Utley hit is the only ball in play. If the fielder picks up the wrong ball, it is no diff then any other error in judgement, and as such, the ball Utley hit is still the live ball.

• weaselpuppy - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Rule 15-3b, 2 strike penalty.

4. cohnjusack - Aug 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM

This happened a few years back when Jim Edmonds was with the Cubs.

Here the video link:

5. jjschiller - Aug 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I guess it’s more fun to think the extra ball was “long-lost,” because, hey, when was the last time we saw a batted ball lost in the ivy, huh?

But they take batting practice there every day. The ball was probably in the ivy for like, 4 hours.

• NatsLady - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I was thinking that, too. If the ball got “lost” in the ivy during a game, they would have tracked it down just like balls that roll under tarps and whatever.

6. km9000 - Aug 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM

The corpses of long-gone blogger spammers, perhaps…

7. mudhead123 - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Well maybe not 4-5, but I have recently seen this happen. It isn’t that rare.

8. ramblingalb - Aug 31, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I’ve seen it at least 3-4 times, and I only watch the Cubs when the Brewers are in town. The TV guys said once 50 balls go in the ivy and don’t come out every day during BP.

9. earpaniac - Aug 31, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Having been a Cub fan most of my life, I know I’ve seen this multiple times over the years. I’d guess at least once a year. As far as proof, it’s not like they have a section in the box score for it. But as somebody who has been watching games since about 79-80, it does happen. I’m sure most long time Cub fans have seen it several times over the years. As another poster said, they lose balls from bp in there every day.

10. doubleogator - Aug 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM

What happened to the play when that ball got lost? Inside the park home run or ground rule double?

• derklempner - Sep 2, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Ground rule double.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5020)