Aug 30, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
I’m still keeping tabs on Wladimir Balenien’s assault on the NPB home run record. He went yard again:
Former major leaguer Wladimir Balentien hit his 52nd home run of the season on Friday to move within three of Japanese baseball’s season record. Balentien’s Yakult Swallows have 30 games remaining in the regular season for him to equal the record of 55 set by Sadaharu Oh in 1964 and matched by ex-major leaguers Tuffy Rhodes in 2001 and Alex Cabrera in 2002.
In other news, you should read Walter Cromartie’s book “Slugging it Out in Japan” and Robert Whiting’s “You Gotta Have Wa.” There may be more recent books about the non-Japanese playing baseball in Japan, but those are the two I read and I liked ‘em.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)