Aug 30, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
I’m still keeping tabs on Wladimir Balenien’s assault on the NPB home run record. He went yard again:
Former major leaguer Wladimir Balentien hit his 52nd home run of the season on Friday to move within three of Japanese baseball’s season record. Balentien’s Yakult Swallows have 30 games remaining in the regular season for him to equal the record of 55 set by Sadaharu Oh in 1964 and matched by ex-major leaguers Tuffy Rhodes in 2001 and Alex Cabrera in 2002.
In other news, you should read Walter Cromartie’s book “Slugging it Out in Japan” and Robert Whiting’s “You Gotta Have Wa.” There may be more recent books about the non-Japanese playing baseball in Japan, but those are the two I read and I liked ‘em.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)