Aug 30, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
I’m still keeping tabs on Wladimir Balenien’s assault on the NPB home run record. He went yard again:
Former major leaguer Wladimir Balentien hit his 52nd home run of the season on Friday to move within three of Japanese baseball’s season record. Balentien’s Yakult Swallows have 30 games remaining in the regular season for him to equal the record of 55 set by Sadaharu Oh in 1964 and matched by ex-major leaguers Tuffy Rhodes in 2001 and Alex Cabrera in 2002.
In other news, you should read Walter Cromartie’s book “Slugging it Out in Japan” and Robert Whiting’s “You Gotta Have Wa.” There may be more recent books about the non-Japanese playing baseball in Japan, but those are the two I read and I liked ‘em.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)