Aug 30, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
Rangers starter Yu Darvish brought a no-hitter into the seventh inning for the third time this season, but things quickly started to unravel after the right-hander began the inning with a 2-0 lead. Darvish walked Brian Dozier, then fell behind Chris Herrmann 2-0. He then threw a 91 MPH cutter over the plate, which Herrmann drilled into the stands in right field for a game-tying two-run home run. Then, after going ahead 2-1 in the count, Justin Morneau crushed a solo home run into the upper deck to break the tie. After getting two outs, Darvish surrendered a double to Trevor Plouffe, prompting manager Ron Washington to walk to the mound to call on reliever Neal Cotts.
Overall, in six and two-thirds innings, Darvish allowed the three runs on three hits and two walks while striking out 11. The outing caused his ERA to jump up five points to 2.73. It marks his 11th double-digit strikeout performance in 26 starts and he now has a total of 236 on the season. He has five starts remaining in the season, meaning he would have to average about 13 strikeouts per start to become the first 300-strikeout pitcher since Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson in 2002.
Once the Twins took the lead, they relied on relievers Brian Duensing, Josh Roenicke, Jared Burton, and Glen Perkins to hold the Ranger offense silent for the 3-2 victory. With the Athletics in progress against the Rays, the Rangers’ lead in the AL West temporarily drops to 2.5 games.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)