Aug 30, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
Rangers starter Yu Darvish brought a no-hitter into the seventh inning for the third time this season, but things quickly started to unravel after the right-hander began the inning with a 2-0 lead. Darvish walked Brian Dozier, then fell behind Chris Herrmann 2-0. He then threw a 91 MPH cutter over the plate, which Herrmann drilled into the stands in right field for a game-tying two-run home run. Then, after going ahead 2-1 in the count, Justin Morneau crushed a solo home run into the upper deck to break the tie. After getting two outs, Darvish surrendered a double to Trevor Plouffe, prompting manager Ron Washington to walk to the mound to call on reliever Neal Cotts.
Overall, in six and two-thirds innings, Darvish allowed the three runs on three hits and two walks while striking out 11. The outing caused his ERA to jump up five points to 2.73. It marks his 11th double-digit strikeout performance in 26 starts and he now has a total of 236 on the season. He has five starts remaining in the season, meaning he would have to average about 13 strikeouts per start to become the first 300-strikeout pitcher since Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson in 2002.
Once the Twins took the lead, they relied on relievers Brian Duensing, Josh Roenicke, Jared Burton, and Glen Perkins to hold the Ranger offense silent for the 3-2 victory. With the Athletics in progress against the Rays, the Rangers’ lead in the AL West temporarily drops to 2.5 games.
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 1
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 34
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)