Aug 31, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
After a hot streak to begin the month of August, Braves outfielder B.J. Upton had fallen into another slump again, hitting just .100 in his last 44 plate appearances entering tonight’s game against the Marlins. Upton was on fire all night against Marlins starter Jacob Turner and the bullpen, though, knocking four hits including a game-tying two-run home run in the sixth inning and a walk-off RBI single off of reliever Ryan Webb in the 11th.
Because of the clutch hitting, FanGraphs credited him with .758 Win Percent Added, a Sabermetric statistic that tells you how much a player’s contributed to a team’s chance of winning. In this case, Upton was responsible for about 76 percent. Per Baseball Reference, Upton’s performance is the 11th-most valuable of the season.
Upton also boosted his batting average to .195, the highest it has been since August 9. He hasn’t been over the Mendoza line at any point during the season.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)