Aug 31, 2013, 3:29 PM EDT
Brandon Morrow has already been ruled out for the rest of the season due to a entrapped radial nerve in his right forearm, but there’s still a chance that he’ll require surgery.
Morrow hasn’t pitched for the Blue Jays since May 28 due to the injury and was advised last month to shut things down for six weeks. He’s halfway through that timetable right now and tells Evan Peaslee of MLB.com that a determination on surgery will be made after he resumes throwing.
“To test it, I need to be off the mound throwing bullpens at 100 percent effort level,” Morrow said. “I can’t go through and baby it. I need to know if it’s going to be good or not.”
If deemed necessary, surgery would take place in October and carries an estimated recovery time of three months. This would give Morrow a chance to be ready for spring training.
After posting a 2.96 ERA over 21 starts last season, Morrow struggled to the tune of a 5.63 ERA in 10 starts this year. He has never thrown more than 179 1/3 innings in a season. The 29-year-old is owed $8 million next season while his contract includes $10 million club option or $1 million buyout for 2015.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 90
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)