Aug 31, 2013, 3:29 PM EST
Brandon Morrow has already been ruled out for the rest of the season due to a entrapped radial nerve in his right forearm, but there’s still a chance that he’ll require surgery.
Morrow hasn’t pitched for the Blue Jays since May 28 due to the injury and was advised last month to shut things down for six weeks. He’s halfway through that timetable right now and tells Evan Peaslee of MLB.com that a determination on surgery will be made after he resumes throwing.
“To test it, I need to be off the mound throwing bullpens at 100 percent effort level,” Morrow said. “I can’t go through and baby it. I need to know if it’s going to be good or not.”
If deemed necessary, surgery would take place in October and carries an estimated recovery time of three months. This would give Morrow a chance to be ready for spring training.
After posting a 2.96 ERA over 21 starts last season, Morrow struggled to the tune of a 5.63 ERA in 10 starts this year. He has never thrown more than 179 1/3 innings in a season. The 29-year-old is owed $8 million next season while his contract includes $10 million club option or $1 million buyout for 2015.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 6
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)