Aug 31, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
Mets first baseman Ike Davis may have played his last game in 2013. In the third inning, with the Mets leading 1-0, Davis skied a sacrifice fly to left field. He grabbed at his side, then left the field gingerly with trainer Ray Ramirez, writes ESPN’s Adam Rubin. Rubin later verified that the injury is a strained right oblique, an injury which likely keeps Davis out for the remainder of the season.
Davis has battled adversity all year long. Through June 9, he mustered a measly .500 OPS before the Mets demoted him to Triple-A Las Vegas. There, he posted a 1.091 OPS in 21 games, prompting the Mets to give him another shot. The power didn’t return to levels the Mets would have preferred, but his plate discipline was much improved. Between July 5 and August 30, he drew 38 walks (three intentional) and struck out 35 times in 168 plate appearances. Comparatively, from the beginning of the season through June 9, he drew 19 walks (two intentional) and struck out 66 times in 207 PA.
Rubin suggests the left-handed Lucas Duda and right-handed Josh Satin could share time at first base. Rubin also wonders if the Mets will tender Davis a contract in the off-season, as he will have earned $3.125 million this season and will enter his second year of arbitration eligibility.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 53
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)