Aug 31, 2013, 4:29 PM EST
Nova gave up just three hits (all of them singles), one walk, and two hit-by-pitches while striking out five batters. He induced 15 swinging strikes and needed just 103 pitches to finish off the victory. The 26-year-old right-hander has quietly posted a 2.88 ERA and 97/34 K/BB ratio over 109 1/3 innings this season. Hiroki Kuroda has hit a bit of a rough patch recently and CC Sabathia hasn’t looked like an ace all season, but Nova is filling the role of frontline starter quite nicely.
Cano drove in both runs for the Yankees, smacking an RBI double in the first inning and a solo home run in the eighth. Scott Feldman pitched admirably for the Orioles in the loss, allowing just one run on six hits and one walk over seven innings.
With the victory, the Yankees improved to 72-63 on the year and moved ahead of the Orioles in the AL Wild Card race. New York is now four games back while Baltimore is 4.5 games back. The Yankees will go for the series sweep tomorrow when they send Andy Pettitte to the hill against Wei-Yin Chen.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)