Aug 31, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp made his second rehab start with Rancho Cucamonga yesterday, but still doesn’t feel comfortable yet, reports Bill Shaikin. Kemp has been sidelined since July 22 with a sprained ankle.
The hope was that Kemp would make a few rehab starts and be ready to return to the Dodgers after this weekend, but it sounds like Kemp will need some more time. He is 0-for-8 thus far and has driven a ball out of the infield on only one occasion.
Kemp, the runner-up to Ryan Braun in the 2011 NL MVP balloting, has been on the disabled list three times this season. The first, between May 30 and June 25, was due to a strained right hamstring. The second, between July 6-21, was due to inflammation of the AC joint in his right shoulder. The third, of course, is the continuing issue with the ankle. When he has been on the field, he posted a .700 OPS in 251 trips to the plate.
Manager Don Mattingly said that, when Kemp returns, he will not be used on an everyday basis.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)