Aug 31, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Tigers manager Jim Leyland did not include third baseman Miguel Cabrera in tonight’s starting lineup against the Indians, a day after the slugger was taken out of the game early with continued abdominal discomfort. It has been an ongoing issue for Cabrera, who hasn’t been able to make it through an entire game since August 27.
Cabrera leads the American League in a multitude of offensive statistics and is the front runner for the AL MVP award. He still trails Orioles first baseman Chris Davis in home runs by four as he attempts to repeat as a Triple Crown winner.
The 79-56 Tigers are currently enjoying a comfortable 7.5-game lead over the Indians in the AL Central, so they can afford to be extra careful with Cabrera entering the final month of the regular season.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)