Aug 31, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Tigers manager Jim Leyland did not include third baseman Miguel Cabrera in tonight’s starting lineup against the Indians, a day after the slugger was taken out of the game early with continued abdominal discomfort. It has been an ongoing issue for Cabrera, who hasn’t been able to make it through an entire game since August 27.
Cabrera leads the American League in a multitude of offensive statistics and is the front runner for the AL MVP award. He still trails Orioles first baseman Chris Davis in home runs by four as he attempts to repeat as a Triple Crown winner.
The 79-56 Tigers are currently enjoying a comfortable 7.5-game lead over the Indians in the AL Central, so they can afford to be extra careful with Cabrera entering the final month of the regular season.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)