Aug 31, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Tigers manager Jim Leyland did not include third baseman Miguel Cabrera in tonight’s starting lineup against the Indians, a day after the slugger was taken out of the game early with continued abdominal discomfort. It has been an ongoing issue for Cabrera, who hasn’t been able to make it through an entire game since August 27.
Cabrera leads the American League in a multitude of offensive statistics and is the front runner for the AL MVP award. He still trails Orioles first baseman Chris Davis in home runs by four as he attempts to repeat as a Triple Crown winner.
The 79-56 Tigers are currently enjoying a comfortable 7.5-game lead over the Indians in the AL Central, so they can afford to be extra careful with Cabrera entering the final month of the regular season.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)