Aug 31, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Tigers manager Jim Leyland did not include third baseman Miguel Cabrera in tonight’s starting lineup against the Indians, a day after the slugger was taken out of the game early with continued abdominal discomfort. It has been an ongoing issue for Cabrera, who hasn’t been able to make it through an entire game since August 27.
Cabrera leads the American League in a multitude of offensive statistics and is the front runner for the AL MVP award. He still trails Orioles first baseman Chris Davis in home runs by four as he attempts to repeat as a Triple Crown winner.
The 79-56 Tigers are currently enjoying a comfortable 7.5-game lead over the Indians in the AL Central, so they can afford to be extra careful with Cabrera entering the final month of the regular season.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (107)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)