Aug 31, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Tigers manager Jim Leyland did not include third baseman Miguel Cabrera in tonight’s starting lineup against the Indians, a day after the slugger was taken out of the game early with continued abdominal discomfort. It has been an ongoing issue for Cabrera, who hasn’t been able to make it through an entire game since August 27.
Cabrera leads the American League in a multitude of offensive statistics and is the front runner for the AL MVP award. He still trails Orioles first baseman Chris Davis in home runs by four as he attempts to repeat as a Triple Crown winner.
The 79-56 Tigers are currently enjoying a comfortable 7.5-game lead over the Indians in the AL Central, so they can afford to be extra careful with Cabrera entering the final month of the regular season.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 64
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 246
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (250)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (91)